Valiani Users in the UK

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Daviddeer
You have a newer machine than I do. Mine is now 2 years old and I installed 4.2 software. I will admit there were a few minor snags.

I just hounded Italy. NICO or LUCA. I had to forward a few files to them as the Software is configured to the machine serial number. It was all sorted out with an updated config file, to match the new speeds.

I really am happy with 4.2 and the new library.
John GCF
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

Well Merlin,
I don't want to dive off topic too much. Suffice it to say that I have spoken with the charming ladies at Valiani on many many occasions who cannot get me on to the website to download their software.
I have emailed and spoken to Luca. He has the serial number and all my info. I have been definitively told by him that I cannot use the 4.20 software on my Machine, he has discussed it with the technicians. So I emailed and rang him over several months (boy does he get about) and got the same story every time, so I gave up.
I am very wary of small designs and typefaces under 20 point as they chew up the mountboard, even after Richard had set it up properly. New wheel and blades have made no difference so I work within my limitations.
Solved the problem with mountboard rolling up under the wheel by lightly tacking it with ATG in the far right corners. Also found that setting the boardsize too large causes the head to 'knock' against the top belt runner.
Some mountboards give erratic (fluffy) V grooves, must be due to the density of the core. Other than that I love it, I especially like the fact that you home the cutter with one click of the mouse and do not have to manually move the head to the homing position as per Wizard. In addition I can cut double and triple mounts in one hit in situ.
Giclee is just a term for a little squirt making lots of money
Remember conservation Framing is an art, for everything else there's Araldite
markw

Post by markw »

my 120 is older than Merlins - when I initially loaded 4.2 my machine threw a complete wobbly - Valiani sent me a new main board - it was significantly different to the board it replaced - and I suspect that the old board represented a generation of hardware that wasn't compatible with the new software.

New software handles text easily - V grooves are shallower and it seemed to alter all offset settings so the machine had to be completely recalibrated.