Dust Extraction - more new kit!

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
ShaggyDog
Organisation: FrameDog
Interests: Music, photography, where the cat is going to sleep next.

Dust Extraction - more new kit!

Post by ShaggyDog »

Me again! Along with the other bits and pieces that I'm aquiring (tomorrow :D ) is a Brevetti Prisma CE double mitre saw. I know that this is far beyond my requirements at present, but hopefully business will continue to grow! My question is about dust extractors - does anyone know how big a dust extractor I will need to work with this saw, I am considering 0.75hp Kufo 40 or 90 if this will clear the dust from my workshop (garage as was). If anyone knows I'd be very glad to hear.
robbiez
Organisation: EasyFrame
Interests: Picture Framing

Re: Dust Extraction - more new kit!

Post by robbiez »

ShaggyDog

Post by ShaggyDog »

Thanks Robbie, I'll give them a look.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Hi FrameDog,

serious bit of kit that! the required CFM (cubic feet per minute) or m3/hour, will be listed in the instructions, but I would guess that most double mitres saws would need 800CFM minimum per outlet (there will be two) and 1000CFM each would be more efficient and ideal.

Most single bag extractors at 0.75 HP (560 watts) are around 500CFM and the Charnwood 1 HP (750w) is about 590CFM.

A twin bag extractor, 2HP to 3HP is probably more suitable, these will give 1700CFM upwards, split between the two outlets. I would also say that even with a good extractor and some fine filters expect every surface in your workshop to have a nice coating of dust each time you use!
Like most things, once you start researching, there are lots of models available and most are not suitable for what you require!
ShaggyDog

Post by ShaggyDog »

Thanks for the info Framemaker, I've decided to go with something more like a regular vacuum cleaner (but much more powerful) which (according to the retailer) leaves less fine dust in the air than the double bag dust extractors and can also be used as a regular vacuum at the end of the day to clear up that layer of dust. It's all in place now, and seems to work, I'll wait to see what happens when the volume goes up!
robbiez
Organisation: EasyFrame
Interests: Picture Framing

Post by robbiez »

We had one of these on our 1st Alfa double mitre saw:
http://www.recordpower-thetoolshop.com/ ... actor.html

Wasn't up to the job. Had to wear dust masks all the time.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Glad to hear you got it sorted Framedog! :D and are now ready to saw those frames! :clap:

Its always a good idea to take some advice from the people selling this extraction equipment day in, day out, and for all types of different wood working machinery.
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

Hi Shaggydog,
I have the Prisma and I use the Charnwood 690/790 (about £140.00). It does everything I require (although a bit noisily). I would say that to capture all the dust a higher volume double bag extraction system is the way to go. Watch out for those bargains on EBay as many are 3 phase. Mine is an older model and it cuts very big mouldings perfectly (up to 4" wide and 3" high might be slightly higher can't remember exact size of the largest moulding I cut). Takes a standard blade which are cheaper than the original parts by some margin. Get a soft brush to clean the front of the machine regularly and put a box under the machine to catch offcuts. It cuts everything I throw at it and doesn't have a very low blade guard so larger mouldings can be accommodated.
Giclee is just a term for a little squirt making lots of money
Remember conservation Framing is an art, for everything else there's Araldite