About Time

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Roboframer

About Time

Post by Roboframer »

................... We got a CMC, seems a toss up between Gunnar and Wizard.

Question would a CMC cut shapes in thin card or is there a minimum depth as well as a max?

We sell needlework/card-making and other crafts - a range of blank aperture cards in our own designs, or to order would go down a treat!
markw

Post by markw »

Roboframer - I can only comment about Valiani CMCs - the depth of cut is set on a rotating knob - overcut is set on pc based on thickness of card - as long as the card was rigid enough to stay flat it can be cut. - why is it a toss up between Gunnar and Wizard ?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well, because Wizard have had a lot of praises sung, both here and on The Grumble, both for performace and support and Gunnar have an impressive website!

Have only looked here and the Grumble, so am going by recommendation really. The aftersales will do it for me I think, plus it seems the wizard price is fully inclusive, Gunnars, does not include the puter and software, it seems.

I may leave it till I've seen them and more at trade shows, here and/or in the States.

I've never paid eleven grand for a CAR! So I want to get it right. I'm all ears to advice. What about cost? NO WAY am I going to get into any finance deal, if the cheapest way is full payment in one hit, FINE. What else is there? I know some suppliers who will take three or even six post-dated cheques - NO INTEREST. Unfortunately none of them sell CMCs!

What is the Rent/buy deal?........................
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi RoboFramers
I too was torn between Gunnar and Wizard. Then I took my blinkers off and looked at Valiani.
I have not looked back.
I have cut Vinyl lettering on this CMC, admittedly it was sandwiched between two sheets of mountcard. No doubt most CMC's will allow you to do that.
Valiani will stack 3 layers of mountcard in one go. making multi-layers so easy.
One thing to look at is, just how close to the mountcard the travellin head is. When cutting intricate mounts, one thing you DO NOT want is the head picking up the 'fall out' and tracking that around the board as well as trying to cut. I have seen that happen on a number of occassions with Wizard. NEVER with Valiani.
I am not sure on the latest machines, but what thickness board will G and W cut up to. Valiani will cut up to 8 ply, in fact I have cut 3 sheets of 1200 micron mountboard in one go.
To date (and touching wood) I have had no problem with aftersales. I go direct to Italy. Its Easy, emails have been replied to within 4 hours, any software update has been with me two days later via FED EXPRESS or small updates via email attachments. Quite impressed.
The shows are very clinical and they tend to display only what they want you to see. My best advice is spend a day - on site - with a framer.
I know I am a long way from you. But you are definately welcome to come and have a look and total freedom of play with our Valiani.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thanks John,

That performance does sound impressive, your offer is very generous too; I may take you up on it.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

You're ready for a CMC!

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

John

The size of your business certainly warrants seriously examination of a CMC. But equally important, what the size of your business will grow to once you do own one!

Regardless of the brand, I believe that you are ready!

Seriously do examine the Valiani. Obviously Fletcher-Terry distributes these in the U.S. and I'm biased, but I find it of interest that two of the more techo types on this UK forum, both also happen to be Valiani owners. :wink: They obviously checked thing out before making this decision.

You're correct....it is a big decision, and you can do yourself a favor, by visiting friendly framers willing to open their doors and laying your hands on the machines. Do this at the Spring Fair and in the showrooms of your stockists as well. Cut mats that you cut and look at the quality of the final results.

Remember that they all work and do the basic job. Just look at the final mat results, compare overall design and ease of software.

Good luck,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Merlin Framers wrote:Hi RoboFramers
.....One thing to look at is, just how close to the mountcard the travellin head is. When cutting intricate mounts, one thing you DO NOT want is the head picking up the 'fall out' and tracking that around the board as well as trying to cut. I have seen that happen on a number of occassions with Wizard.
I will absolutely second that - the wizard has a very small clearance between the head and the board, and can sometimes grab a piece of fallout and drag it all over the place, sometimes also snapping the tip off the blade and turning the whole effort into hamster bedding while you are off making a cup of tea.

Any two of the following criteria have to be in place before this event happens:

It will only do it when your back is turned.

It will only do it when it is the last sheet of that board you have in stock.

It will only do it when a customer is stood outside the shop window watching it "perform"

It will only do it when the customer is stood in the shop waiting for the job.

It will only do it when you are having a bad day already.

In these respects it is just like a human member of staff :?