CMC cuts per year

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
pinkybanks
Organisation: Home based framer
Interests: Keeping fit, framing, my children.

CMC cuts per year

Post by pinkybanks »

Finances dictating, I'm looking at second hand cmcs, and was wondering how many cuts per year the average bespoke framer would expect to rack up on a CMC. I know serving is a big thing to look at, but like a car, I'd like to know how many miles it had done to work out the type of life it had.
aim2frame Stoke picture framing http://aim2frame.moonfruit.com/
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Re: CMC cuts per year

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

pinkybanks wrote:Finances dictating, I'm looking at second hand cmcs, and was wondering how many cuts per year the average bespoke framer would expect to rack up on a CMC. I know serving is a big thing to look at, but like a car, I'd like to know how many miles it had done to work out the type of life it had.
Congratulations for starting to do the research.

Firstly, take your time, and don’t rush into anything. Consider all options carefully, and don’t fall for any hard sell sales pitches.

Not all CMC’s are created equal – there are differences – and you have to find them. For example - not all CMC's have a permanent "odometer" than shows you how many mounts it has cut - and they are easy to change. Speaking from my short, 13 years experience in selling and servicing GUNNAR CMC's “Down Under”, I have found that most "bespoke" level framers can use between 3000 to 20,000 openings per year. As you can see it really, really, really varies – a lot. Some framers are more "creative" than others, thus consume more openings than others, etc.

Service intervals on CMC's varies from model to model, brand to brand - just like motor vehicles. The cheaper the model/brand the more you may need it to be serviced if you are going to push some volume through it. The more expensive models require less service with low volumes.

Don't let anyone tell you "these machines don't need service" - that's just a sales pitch – every machine needs service - even a Rolls Royce needs servicing.

Buying a second hand CMC is a matter of risk. Personally - after seeing "the good and the bad" of the industry from my perspective, in detail and depth - I would recommend you approach it just like buying a motor vehicle with the following advice:
- Don’t buy “the first second hand CMC that you can find!” in an excited panic! You need to compare it with something else. Go slow – take your time – don’t get stung.
- Speak to the CMC manufacturers/distributors themselves (eg: GUNNAR have an office in the UK), and see if they have got any traded-in second hand models available – or know of any in the market? They do come up from time to time, and can be a safer investment buying from the actually agent, rather than buying privately?
- Why are they selling it second hand? Have they upgraded? Why? You need to know – and be suspicious.
- How many owners has it had before you? What type of volume does the business do? Don’t ask this question of the phone, and expect an honest answer. You have to physically go and visit the shop/ location, and assess this for yourself.
-Try before you buy! Don't buy *ANY* CMC (second hand or otherwise) without seeing it cutting first, and assess the quality of the cut is up to you expectations. Even if it means you have to drive for 5 hours to see it in action – do it – don’t be lazy! Remember, you are going to have to live with this decision for at least 5 years – so it’s worth the time to get it right. If they can’t demonstrate it, then be suspicious.
- Compare machines and options if possible, and consider what’s involved in using the machine – using/learning the software, changing the blades, etc.
- Don't buy a second hand CMC, without checking with the manufacturer, to see if it s still serviceable locally, and parts are still available ongoing.
- Don’t buy any CMC, new or second hand, without being prepared to buy professional on-site training as well. Budget for this first! Trust me – training will pay for itself in heartache, frustration, lost time and productivity.
- If it sounds too good to be true…. Then it is. Avoid it.

Buying a second hand CMC is just a matter of risk – but you can reduce the risk by considering the advice above.

At the end of the day the universal consumer law dictates – “You get what you pay for”… so if you have a few options available – I’d probably think twice about buying “the cheapest” one.

Cheers,

Jared Davis MCPF, GCF
http://www.jared-davis.com
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Pinkybanks, and anyone else who has just read Jared's reply is lucky. To get such words of wisdom for free - Priceless.

The advice you have just given is worth paying for :D

===========================
Pinkybanks -remember they are all off springs of convicts !!
Expect an invoice in the post! :giggle:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
span2iels
Organisation: Harlequin Frames
Interests: Rugby Union, Bridge, allotment.

Post by span2iels »

I agree with Keith's comments anyone who might be considering purchasing a second hand CMC should pay close attention to the advice given by Jared.