Wizard 8000 corner hook

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Wizard 8000 corner hook

Post by Coxby »

Can anyone shed any light on why my cutter is getting a small hook in the internal corner of the aperture. I am using a new blade cartridge and the rotation hasn't changed in the settings.

Edward Coxwell-Rogers
stcstc

Re: Wizard 8000 corner hook

Post by stcstc »

I dont know the wizard software. But on the gunnar, there is a configuration which allows adjustments of the inner overcuts

It looks like they need to be adjusted

there are members who use wizard who might be able to be specific. but like i say if you maybe search the software help for inner overcut adjustments you might find what ya need
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

Perhaps there is a Wizard technician in your part of the world, who would help you with your problems.
I have a Gunnar and their technicians are only a phone call away. I think I've had to call them three times in nearly ten years! Even then it was only because I forgot how to adjust something.
David Jarvis

Post by David Jarvis »

Sam at Framers Corner will put you right!!!
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

It might be a problem with the blade cartridge. What happens if you put the old one back?

Was this mat cut from the front or back? Somehow it looks as if it was cut from the from and it looks as if there is a slight overcut which suggest that either the Wizard needs calibrating or there is a problem with your new cartridge. Either way Sam will surely sort you out.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Sam Cook
Organisation: Framers Corner
Interests: .

Post by Sam Cook »

Hi Ed

Are you cutting this from the front or the back? If you are cutting this from the back then you need to increase the Exterior Backup.
I presume you are still using mm so you will need to change it by units of 0.2 to see a difference. ie if the figure is now 0.4 you want to increase it to 0.6
Having changed to a new blade cartridge you also want to check that the cutting head is still sitting tightly on the gantry - this can be readjusted by the 2 screws that sit inbetween the 2 top wheels on the gantry.
If you have any more problems please let me know, you can e-mail me on my usual address sam@framerscorner.co.uk or call the office on 01530 516925.

Cheers
Sam
markw

Post by markw »

That's easily adjusted Ed - adjust the position of the cmc by putting it on a lorry and replacing it with a nice new Valiani :D
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Ed:

ex 8000 user here, now an 8500sbt, but the adjustments are the same.

1. ignore the previous purile comment. That's typical valiani fan-boy trolling from someone with a cheap piece of italian junk. There are about 20 wizard users here on this forum, who have had CMCs for years, but most dont bother post here any more because of muppetry such as the the example from mark, who happens to be just up the road from you. What was the point of that purile comment, mark?
When you grow up, Mark, and have used a CMC as long as the rest of us, you will realise it's just another workshop tool. I have a second wizard because it takes quarter of a million quid a year, nothing more. The fact that my last one did 1.5 million mounts and was barely run in when we upgraded ought to be something worth mentioning. This may have turned into the valiani-promotion-forum, but there are actually more Wizards in the UK than all the other mount cutting machines put together. Four of the five "big players" in the mounts supply business use Wizards, or crescent/zund machines using wizard technology, the other uses a Gunnar. They have all chosen other than valiani. Its obvious you either couldn't afford a wizard or didn't want to pay the extra for a proper heavy duty machine, so why inflict moronic comments on those of us who chose more expensive CMCs, it makes you look like a nob.

2. Anyway Collie, it looks like you need to reduce your overcut by about 0.2 to 0.4 and increase your backup by about 0.2. First check your depth and belt tensions.

3. Framers Corner, the Wizard-int forum, wizard EU in germany are all good sources of immediate tech advice for wizard CMCs.

4. lock or back up your calibration settings and make sure the staff don't fiddle.

5. Framers corner run regular free training sessions, and wizard run regular webinars, these are also very good sources of info.
markw

Post by markw »

Bad day then Kev? Humour obviously not a strong point. I know Ed quite well and made the comment based upon knowing that he wouldn't be offended by it. It would be a shame if all such light hearted comments received such personal abuse - Seems to me that you should look at the advisory rules of the forum - Be nice.... :)
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I’m trying to decide which is the more daft: Mark’s clumsy attempt at humour, or Kev’s over the top response.

I would like to reassure all members that, in spite of being accused, on different occasions, of being biased in favour of each of four brands of CMC, the forum remains strictly neutral on this topic.

Personally, I have about the same level regard for my workbench as I do for my CMC. They both perform their function well, but could be modified to fit even better with the way I work. However it looks like some folk have developed a kind of emotional attachment to theirs, seeing them as perfect and beyond reproach.

It seems to me that the brand zealots on the forum are stifling the kind of healthy discussion that could be a real benefit to both framers CMC makers.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

It's OK John....don't worry too much about it. Kev will realise that Mark was pulling his leg!

I must tell you that I laughed my head off when I read Mark's comment. I thought it was very, very humerous and in a similar vein as I would expect to hear from Ronnie Barker. (who I watched last night in Open All Hours)

There's another funny thing about Mark's post and that is that he was suggesting a Valiani as a replacement, when anyone with brain cells would know that a Gunnar would be the best replacement! :lol: :lol:

(OK folks - lighten up a bit - this is also an attempt at humour, but perhaps not quite in the same vein as Ronnie Barker, but none the less a real fair dinkum, true blue, ridgy didgy, attempt at humour)
Actually, the last statement about the replacement really is true! :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

So, what was (well, hopefully 'was') the problem, Coxby? Whenever I've had similar problems (with a different make of CMC) it wasn't a software/settings problem, it was a blade/head/other mechanical problem.

As for the brand thing - there was once a Valiani users' forum, but that's been changed to a 'whatever CMC' forum, which, even though I have a Valiani, was definitely correct.

All 4 major CMC brands will be represented at the forum live event, and it's not quite such a large venue as a hall at the NEC, then, later on their reps will probably be having a drink/meal together.
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

That sounds great John. There's no reason why competitors can't be sociable!

I wish I could come too. It sounds like a great event for framers and I would like to meet you guys.
Not sure about the language though. I wouldn't want to 'catch' any funny accents!
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

markw wrote:Bad day then Kev? Humour obviously not a strong point. I know Ed quite well and made the comment based upon knowing that he wouldn't be offended by it. It would be a shame if all such light hearted comments received such personal abuse - Seems to me that you should look at the advisory rules of the forum - Be nice.... :)
had worse days ;)

the rest of us dont know ed, for all a casual observer knows its some poor guy bought a used CMC and needed some help.
:head:
anyway, I'm sure you are not a nob, even if you haven't got a Wizard ;) so I do apologise for that part. that was a joke btw. the wizard bit.

So- non existant forum rule three: if you can't post something that looks half useful to a casual observer on the public part of the forum, STFU.

John has a point about the stifling of proper debate due to fan-boys/brand-zealots,
markw

Post by markw »

Kev
Your apology appreciated. I really dont have any preference for any card cutter - I purchased my first because it was a machine I could afford having long been envious of those that already had one. John s comment that cmc brand fanaticism was stifling the debate isnt quite true as an effort has been made here (The Forum)to combine the experiences of all CMC users into one section and I was one of those saying that it shouldn't be a single brand forum section.

As for my humour - its a problem with text that you cant see the smile on my face when the comments made - perhaps I ought to put a smiley after the silly comment. I was very flattered by Ormonds reply though - Ronnie Barker might not have been.

I am getting a new CMC next week - I am not going to mention the brand but would comment that it is a bit different from any current cmc and that I hope I can add some new ways to develop the way all future cmcs are used so that we can all gain from the experience.
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

yeah, I did kick off on that one. i owe you a drink at the framers forum live thing.

none of us argue about whether a morso is better than an ortegul of framers corner guillotine, they all do the job. nobody gets wound up about whether a keencut is better than a fletcher, or a casesse better than an alfamacchine, it isn't useful to anyone.

I dont actually think we need a separete CMC discussion area at all, but personally I didn't mind there being a valiani forum here when there was one. we owners of other machines have our own private forums, and for the most part they are pretty dull places. Very dull. Duller than dull.

perhaps there is some room for sensible discussion on different CMCs, and why we chosse the ones we use, so that people who are thinking of getting one can get a realistic idea about the drawbacks, faults and problems in each model, as well as the plus points.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

kev@frames wrote: i owe you a drink at the framers forum live thing.

You are coming then? Bringing the bike?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yeah, Kev, are you going?

(Mrs R's birthday celebrations may have to be brought forward)!
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Roboframer wrote:Yeah, Kev, are you going?

(Mrs R's birthday celebrations may have to be brought forward)!
Robo, I told you how to handle this one...

Book a delighful spa weekend at Stratford Manor Hotel!

and when you turn up be like "Oh what a strange coincedence, Framers Forum Live 2011 is here this very weekend! - Small world"
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That would earn me a hook, and it would be simply wizard!