IPF 6100 for Dummies

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

IPF 6100 for Dummies

Post by Trinity »

Does anyone know of a book that'll get me started with my printer. It's actually very impressive staight out of the box but I'd like to delve a bit deeper if I can.
Thanks
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Re: IPF 6100 for Dummies

Post by CanvasChris »

What sort of things do you want to know?

The easiest way to print is through the Photoshop Export Utility. This way also gives you the opportunity to print 16bit images. Lots of brownie points for that feature alone.

If colour is an issue then you need to be profiling your media, or you could use stock profiles but they would still be slightly off but a good place to start.

here would be a good place to begin... http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/ everything Canon and a lot of helpful bods from all around the world on the Discussion Forum.

I have the 44" version and it sure gives a nice print... even if it costs a fortune to run it. 12 colours and over £100 a cart for the small ones or £250 for the large ones. I'll leave you to do the maths on that one!! I won't scare you with the price for a PF-03 print head... and theres 2.. gulp!!
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Matt
Organisation: Elciun
Interests: Photography.

Post by Matt »

The worst thing that you can do is not to use it, you'll end up using a lot more ink in cleaning cycles. The heads are good for about 4 litres of ink through each- That's replacing each cartridge about 5 times. The replacement cost is about £350 each, so not cheap. Just something to incorporate into your costings.

Apparently the new x300 series may be lighter on the ink use. My heads are going to need replacing soon so I'm trying to justify an 8300 :)

I don't know of any books (It is a pretty niche market after all, and a fast moving area), but the aforementioned Wiki/forum generally has the answers to anything you may need to know.

One thing I would recommend is getting a UPS to power it, there's nothing more annoying than ruining a print when the power goes off. Most Semi decent ones should have under/over voltage filtering. Doesn't need to be very expensive as the printer doesn't draw a lot of power. Trawl Ebay for an APC Smartpower unit (Preferably local to you as they are heavy and cost a lot to post!)

If you haven't done so, get the latest drivers from the Canon website, the ones that come on the CD are older versions and can be somewhat less than stable. For calibrating a colourmunki will take care of the printer and your monitor as well. You need to take some time setting up the media profiles in the Media configuration tool, as Chris said you can use the profiles supplied by the manufacturer of the media, but they should be more accurate if you make your own.

Hi to everyone by the way!
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Thanks chaps, at the moment I'm leaving the machine on, and printing something / anything about every three days using the full width of a roll. I know it's not cheap - my thought being that i'd sacrifice the inks provided as my learning curve and then gulp twice as things get serious.
Hopefully the guy from the supplier can assist with some of the stuff. I thought it'd be easier though - I've just ventured into lightroom 3 as a precursor to photoshop and I'm finding a mass of books / web stuff that's making it straight forward. Unfortunately I'd assumed they same would be available with the printer.
If there's a competent person East Yorshire ish who picks up on this and can spare some time please get in touch.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Johnson_M
Organisation: WallSpace Picture Framers
Interests: An unhealthy obsession with frames, mounts and anything and everything relating to framing, mounting and fine art printing. I am also a bit of a geek when it comes to computers, especially involving our Valiani CMC and designing websites relating to photo frames.

Post by Johnson_M »

Hi Trinity,

We've got a 6100 and I think it's a great printer. check out the wiki posted above - I've found that site very useful.

Give me a shout if you have any questions relating to the printer, I use mine practically every day so know 'most' of the usual things with it.

Had a go at printing on mountboard the other day with some impressive looking results. Best thing you can do is play, play and play.

Mark
Matt
Organisation: Elciun
Interests: Photography.

Post by Matt »

I've got some wood veneer that i'd like to try, but haven't worked up the courage to try it yet. Suppose I should buy an old one for messing around with. Which I did have, then sold it- Ahh, Hindsight :Slap:
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i have printed on mountboard a few times

have printed on wood veneer too. the issue is it needs sticking down to something before you coat it with an inkjet receptive coating though
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

Who did you buy it from???

Do they offer any support - or was it just a "box shifter"???
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Ah Steve, you perceptive chap. Cringing as I say it, bought on price alone. SYFR (flipping! Mikey) returns the cry!
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

WHOOPS!!! :Slap:

You could try this guy - he is only up the road in Hull www.cdshull.co.uk - after all you will be needing ink & media. He is a canon reseller (called Glyn) & may go the extra mile - if repaid with some consumable orders.
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566