cmc hinge mount

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
markw

cmc hinge mount

Post by markw »

Try cutting your mount and undermount all in one piece - the dimensions you need are fairly obvious - you are cutting your top mount and undermount side by side - using a straight cut v groove between the two mounts - setting the depth carefully to leave enough material to act as a hinge. Saves time and materials on taping the hinge between two boards.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Do you cut your mounts from the front Mark?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That's a good idea, not that I have a CMC (yet) But could also be done by hand by scoring.

Problem I would have is that I use boards specifically FOR undermounts.
markw

Post by markw »

John - Valiani CMC - front cutting

Roboframer - you do have to think carefully about the board used - artcare or cotton rag should be ok. If you were using a faced board then it wouldnt work as you are placing the artwork on the back face of board. one of the disadvantages of the way CMCs cut is that you always have a bevel edge - when taping the undermount to the top mount you have to bridge the bevel gap.
What board do you use for your undermounts?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Mostly artcare Spansh white - always got lots of it. Sometimes Arqadia's whitecore backing board and also have been using artcare foamboard as a combined undermount/frame backing.

AlphaMOUNT artcare always used to be slightly cheaper than alphaMAT, but since they have re-hashed their pricing it is now dearer.