Drivers

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Roboframer

Drivers

Post by Roboframer »

What's a driver?

Mine, or some, don't work.

On one of the PCs at the shop - the one we use for the internet, when I started it this morning I didn't get the little icon bottom right for my wireless USB adaptor and nor was the device flashing between amber and blue like it does when it scans for the router. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and got a balloon saying it was unrecognised etc.

When I clicked further I got "No drivers are installed for this device" so I tried my memory stick - same. I tried both devices in every USB port - same.

I have followed instructions and got to the device manager (or was it the driver manager)? But I couldn't tell you how I got there and I failed to sort it.

Once I got home I googled 'No drivers are installed for this device' and got a fair bit of stuff, but not in a language I understand!

Unless there's a simple solution, I'll probably call someone out to look at it next week or see if my son can talk me through things over the phone. Nothing's going to happen until Tuesday anyway.

Would turning the power off at the wall socket before shutting down cause this problem? I wouldn't do that, but I took Thursday afternoon off and forgot to shut it down before I left and my framer may have done that.

Oh and I did a system restore back to last Weds too.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Drivers

Post by JohnMcafee »

In Device Manager, are there any yellow question marks?
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't remember any, but that doesn't mean there weren't, won't know now 'til Tuesday.
Keadyart
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Art,Photography,Horse racing,my Irish terrier Tara

Post by Keadyart »

the driver is the software to run the hardware.
Did u get a disc with the wieless adapter?
If not you could still download the driver from the internet.

All the best
Brian
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've got the disc and I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. None of the USB ports work on the wireless adaptor or my memory stick, which does not have a disc. Haven't tried a camera or anything else.

Windows XP by the way, and I forgot to mention I have a wireless keyboard and mouse that work off a USB device which is fine, but I've not tried unplugging that and trying the wireless adaptor in the ame port as I don't want to risk losing that port too!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi John,

This may not be a problem with the software driver at all. The problem could be a hardware problem. It's not always easy to tell the difference.

If you access the windows control panel and select system, followed by selecting the hardware tab, and then select the device manager, you will be able to view the software drivers for your hardware. Selecting the appropiate driver will enable you to check the status of your driver and often, but not always have a provision for you to initiate a diagnostic check upon your hardware device.

If the hardware has developed a fault, there is the rare possiblity that upon boot-up the hardware might be mis-identified and the operating system would not therefore automatically initialise the driver, or the hardware, but assume that a new device has been added to the system and be asking for a new driver to be installed.

Hopefully this will help clarify the situation. I hope this will help.
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Erm ...... it's fixed itself!

When I googled the problem, one suggestion was to shut down, switch off at the mains and re-start after an hour or so.

I had re-started - and shut down and restarted, but not switched off at the mains and I didn't read that until I got home on Sat of course and it's been switched off at the mains since.

Started up this morning and there was my wireless adaptor flasing merrily away.