Automating CMC software

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Automating CMC software

Post by JohnMcafee »

If you have ever tried any of the utilities that record and play back mouse and keyboard actions in Windows in order to automate repetitive tasks, you will have discovered that they can be a bit hit or miss.

AutoIt http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/ , which I discovered on a random Google search, adds a whole new dimension in terms of features and functionality. And I have been playing around with it this past few days with the aim of tweaking the software that drives our venerable, but mighty, Trucut Elan.

The little app, imaginatively called “TruCut Manager” has been given functions that assist us in the way that we use the CMC. It automates the start-up task of initialising the machine, and then stands at the ready to take the three input figures that define around 90% of all the mounts that we cut. That is, the two aperture dimensions and the border width. (we rarely change the bottom weighting of 5mm, but is can be easily done)
TcManager.jpg
TcManager.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 4763 times
We are delighted that now, from a cold start, it only takes three figures to be entered and one button click to design the mount, and one more button click to cut it, and also delighted with just how easy it has been to create the app.

AutoIt does not modify the software in any way, and could be used similarly with any CMC, or with any software.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Graysalchemy

Re: Automating CMC software

Post by Graysalchemy »

That looks like a very good little app John.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

If only you could link this to ESt Lite!
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

It could probably be done easily enough.

But what would be the benefit?

However, it could be well worth looking into the possibility of using the technology to link EstLite to accounting packages, stock control software, POS systems, etc .

Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

I'm currently investigating all the possibilities of automating our manufacturing + retail processes -

We have developed a system that Est Lite is the heart of, but for my use it does have its limitations but I promise you I'm not complaining- for its cost its simply amazing!
To be honest John my wish list would probaly be different to others and I wont list it all here now!

I do like your idea of the use of this new technology to make Est Lite more complete,to run all aspects of the business including POS and gallery management tools,but I suppose you have to weigh up whether other businesses would pay extra for this. I definately would, subject to what it includes!
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Apologies Will, I think we’ve got our wires crossed.

To clarify: at the moment there are no plans to create any of those add-ons for EstLite. What I meant to say is that incorporating the AutoIt technology would potentially give EstLite the ability to take full control of, or share data with just about any third party application, not just CMC software.

Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

Wires crossed or wishful thinking!