Lion offer on Canon IPF5100 printer

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Lion offer on Canon IPF5100 printer

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Lion are currently offering a deal on the Canon IPF 5100 printer £995 reduced from £1595.

Looks like a good deal but wondered if any forum member used this printer and if so what their thoughts are.

The replacement cartridges are a pretty hefty £58 each (12 of them) but they do hold a lot of ink.
stcstc

Re: Lion offer on Canon IPF5100 printer

Post by stcstc »

the way to price in, is not on the cost of the cartridge

cost it per ml, desktop printers tend to cost about 1.4 euros per ml, large formats tend to be more like 36cent per ml

so the ink is way cheaper
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

Saw that offer too... very good! Although had an email the other week from Total Imaging with the same offer. Also their 8300 (44" model) was £3495 Bargain.

Ditto to what Steve says about ink costs.

Also the Canons don't seem to have a clogging issue unlike the Epsons.

The 5100 also uses the Lucia Pigment Inks so are lightfast... essential for fine art and photographic printing and longevity. Great little printer but you may be limited to size... better one to go for would be the 6300 24" which would give you more output size options. £1995 from Total, according to their email.
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Jonny2morsos wrote:
The replacement cartridges are a pretty hefty £58 each (12 of them) but they do hold a lot of ink.
You'll find genuine Cannon ink for this printer at least £10.00 a cartridge cheaper with a quick internet search.

Canon do make exceedingly good printers and the ipf5100 is no exception-The 12 colours including Red, Green & Blue produce a wide colour gamut and its four blacks help produce good monotone prints. As Chris says you may find the 17" width a bit limiting
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

The Canon inks are more heat stable than some other brands too - which would be necessary if you intend to mount or heatseal any of your output. I would agree - if you can "stretch" to 24" it would be better.

I know you are doing Super A3+ at the moment - so 17" is a good leap forward especially at the price.

Don't forget Permajet (imaging warehouse) have their massive open day on 26/11/11 - Canon will no doubt be there & will most likely be doing offers like these. You can probably chat to Canon staff too & get a full demo - so could be well worth it.

I know you know - but if anyone else doesn't - Imaging Warehouse is located down the lane opposite the hotel where we hold "Forum Live" - how spooky is that :shock:

I have just trawled the web for more details on the event - but can't find them - but I know it is on as I am going!!! Maybe give them a call on 01789 739200
It's not a secret - I work for Wessex Pictures & I'm here to help!!! you can email me at steveg@wessexpictures.com or call me on 07585 138566
stevebowen

Post by stevebowen »

Also the Canons don't seem to have a clogging issue unlike the Epsons
Canon have a different approach to Epson on this. The canon printhead has lots of spare nozzles so when one blocks, the printer automatically remaps a spare nozzle to replace the blocked one. This makes life a lot easier but when all the spare nozzles are used up, you need to buy a new printhead. Canon list the printheads as consumables and make it easy for the user to replace the heads when needed (around £400 each and has 2 of them!)

It seems its a trade off between using ink to unblock the heads on the epson compared to saving ink on the canon but having the possibility of having to buy new printheads. Reviews suggest the canon printheads are reliable and last a long time before they need to be replaced.

I'm looking at both and think I will opt for the Epson as the ink works out cheaper due to the larger cartridge size, the user reviews of the 4900 & 7900 look promising for reduced nozzle blocks compared to older models

Hope this helps
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

Epsons require a service call out to replace printheads. so any cost saving is balanced out there.

The other drawback for Epson was that they didn't carry a Matt Black online so if you wanted to print canvas or Fine Art you had to drain the Photo Black and swop for the Matt... about 60ml, then visa versa.

... caveat on the above, well it was but not sure on the very latest models....
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

actually its a myth that you save money by the heads being user replaceable

i had the head changed on one of my epsons about 5 months ago, the head was 240 euros and 150 for engineer so about the same as buying the canon one

chris the latest epsons do a switch automatically from matt to pk

and my slightly older ones dont use 60ml of ink for a swap either, its more like about 15ml, which equates to 5.4 euros

but i actually have one printer on MK and one on PK now
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

I think the cost of the visit very much depends on where the service engineer has to travel from at £70.00 an hour and how quickly they work at £150.00 an hour.

I've had to replace heads on Both my Cannon and Epson this year. With the Cannon the printhead was £290 + Vat delevered the next day and fitted in minutes.
With the Epson we lost two days waiting for the engineer to come and fit and a bill of £650 + vat.

There's not much in it regarding ink costs, for the Canon(ipf 8100) we can fit 700ml cartridges which cost 23p (+ vat) per ml. The Epson(9880) with a 220ml cartridges costs 25p (+ vat) per ml.
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt