Logged out after power cut

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Roboframer

Logged out after power cut

Post by Roboframer »

Just had a power cut - a grid one, not just my place.

I'd juuuuuuuuuuuuust made a long-winded post with a photo (was editing it actually) when it went dark. Afterwards I was logged out, also logged out of Facebook - my email (still AOL I'm afraid) and one other forum.

But on another couple of forums etc I was still logged in - what do those places have that the others don't? No big deal, just wondering.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Logged out after power cut

Post by JohnMcafee »

The most likely explanation is that some of your cookies ( which are stored on your computer and tell the remote sites, such as forums etc., of your status) were corrupted/destroyed/made bad in some way by your power failure, nothing to do with the remote sites themselves.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Okey Dokey, but the PC at work (a really old thing given new life (regards speed) by my geek son) has a habit of re-starting itself for no apparent reason and the same thing happens/doesn't happen on all the same sites - if this didn't happen so often I wouldn't know so many passwords off the top of my head.
carter2

Post by carter2 »

the most common problem with sudden power loss, is the corruption of the master file table, eg mft.

and when the mft is corrupted, windows simply cant find the files it needs.

therefore execute a check disk on the c drive with the option to fix errors and mark bad sectors, selected.

the check disk will re-index your file system and files, like your hardware drivers.

depending on the degree of corruption, you might even have to do it via a windows setup cd.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Word for word to the first answer here .....

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/quest ... er-failure