Computerised Mount Cutting

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Jb1
Organisation: START UP
Interests: Fine Art, Ceramics

Computerised Mount Cutting

Post by Jb1 »

Hi
I'm in the process of choosing a computerised mount cutter and was wondering if there is an independent review of machines available in the UK?

Jack
Graysalchemy

Re: Computerised Mount Cutting

Post by Graysalchemy »

Not really but there is plenty of info on here. I personally have a trucut which I am very happy with but many prefer the gunnar and Valiani machines. The best thing if you are serious (and have deep pockets) is to visit them all at spring fair in Feb at the NEC.

As I have hinted a CMC is a huge investment especially for someone just starting out. Jim (gesso &bole) has a gunnar for sale here.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

go to spring fair,have ideas of what you want and even bring a design

ask lots of questions

thats what i did
Jb1
Organisation: START UP
Interests: Fine Art, Ceramics

Post by Jb1 »

Thanks trouble is at trade show u get salesman chat - I'm expecting to spend 15k or so with all the bits
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

problem is there will be sooo many differing opinions

i looked at all 4 main players at spring fair. i did go with gunnar as they best fitted my needs

but what i did was go get a demo of the software (the main thing to look at), and then looked at things like cut quality and suppor next

and then ease of use and extra features
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Jb1 wrote:Thanks trouble is at trade show u get salesman chat
Not always the case. I demonstrate at Trade shows and I am not a salesman. Primarily, I am a High Street picture framer.
As STCSTC states, take a design with you and ask the demonstrator to build the design and cut it - in front of you.

That way, you will see the options available to you and will no doubt prompt you to ask the questions.
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Here's an independent comparison, it doesn't rate them as in a score.
http://www.getthepictureframing.com/gfaq/cmc.htm
stevebowen

Post by stevebowen »

There is some good advice here, the spring fair is the place to go.

To know which is best, you first need to identify what you will be using the machine for?
Sounds a stupid question but they all have different strengths.

I have a Valiani and its interchangable heads are perfect for me who switched between 90deg 40deg 45deg and folding/embossing heads for packaging all the time.
If you only need 90deg & 40deg, you can get dual head systems by several manufacturers so no need to manually swap heads, this is faster but less flexible.

I had a lady visit me recently who was suprised at little things the valiani did that hers did not (i'm afraid I cant remember which one she had)
One small thing is that hers only started cutting from the bottom left part of a large sheet where as you can tell the valiani where to start cutting so you can utilise a large sheet for individual mounts cut one by one without moving the sheet around.

There will be many subtle differences between them that will make the decision for you but the only real way is to play with them so the spring fair and see which works best for you.

With all of the above in mind, I would not make a purchase based on reviews or advice from a forum. I love my valiani and is definately the best for me but equally there will be people who swear by the other 3. I'm afraid, only you can work out which is best

Sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for but would not want you to make an expensive mistake based on one persons review.

Good luck
Steve