VISTA

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Dermot,
You and I have differing opinions on these people and companies and there are a number of descriptions I would give them.
"Good business people" is undoubtedly true, but is not a description that is high on my preferred list of descriptions!

Thankfully, makers of things such as motor vehicles and vee nailers don't sell us products with as many faults as some software companies do!
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

I checked out the EULA of vista and you will only be able to transfer the license once. If you add ram or do another upgrade to the computer you will need to get it reactivated.

Sections 15 and 16 are new and they detail this.

One blog which explains it well is http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=156 and you can do a google for vista Eula to find many more examples. Some quite indepth.

While Micro$oft are continuing to use the public as beta testers and while manufacturers are catching up, stick with XP.

If you feel really brave you could try Ubuntu. This is a version of Linux which is getting very good. You can use an application called Wine which allows you to run most windows applications within Ubuntu.
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Anyone had any luck using XP Compatibility Mode with software that does not function in Vista?
osgood

Post by osgood »

Interesting article in PC World email newsletter from Steve Bass, which backs up my decision not to touch Vista with anyone's barge pole. Here are a few extracts:

Here goes: There are only two reasons to upgrade. One is if XP is giving you trouble. The other? If you buy a new PC with Vista on it.

Microsoft's Vista Upgrade Advisor tells you which of your programs and drivers won't work in Vista. The tool is handy, revealing, and in a typical Microsoft fashion, almost useless.

When I ran the program, it came as no surprise that I had hardware inadequacies. If I wanted the fancy video features of Windows Aero, I'd need to get a new graphics card.

But I was blown away when I learned that I'd need a new sound card, too. My Voyetra Turtle Beach wouldn't work with Vista.

There were a dozen other drivers that were branded with "There is no compatibility data available for this device" warnings, including my Acronis True Image backup program, my two ViewSonic monitors, a DYMO LabelWriter, and both the primary and secondary IDE channels on my systemboard.

In all, Microsoft's tool rejected a dozen programs, including Nero Ultra, Spyware Doctor, Total Recorder, and RealNetworks Rhapsody.

Most disappointing, but not surprising, was the fact that that Upgrade Advisor didn't even look at the many shareware programs I rely on. For instance, it had nothing to say about As-You-Type, my on-the-fly spell checker; UltraMon, the utility for managing my dual-monitor setup; AdMuncher, the ad and pop-up blocker I won't browse without; WinPatrol, the program that guards my startup group; MyUninstaller, and a dozen others.

Mmmmmmmm........!!!
mick11

Post by mick11 »

When the Vista Upgrade Advisor crashed my otherwise faultless laptop, that was enough for me.
:evil:
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

w00dward wrote: If you feel really brave you could try Ubuntu. This is a version of Linux which is getting very good. You can use an application called Wine which allows you to run most windows applications within Ubuntu.
There is also Suse 10.2, which is excellent, and which is my main OS. The nice thing about linux is that half your processing power isn't taken up by antivirus software.

A better option than wine is VMWare workstation. With this you can actually load a virtual machine with another operating system like XP or 98, and run all your programs in this - it is like running two machines at once. You can also get VMWare for windows, and try out new OS's in that - http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/ for an evaluation copy.

With linux you have to be a little more technically able, but newer versions are much less demanding. If you have a bit of time and inclination, and a spare machine (or virtual machine), try it out - it's free to download.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status