Cutting Deep Bevels on Valiani Mat Pro 120

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
A Few More Words
Organisation: Fine Framers
Interests: Photography, Travel

Cutting Deep Bevels on Valiani Mat Pro 120

Post by A Few More Words »

We are trying to cut an opening on a 3500 micron mountboard. I understand that we need to use the dark blue cutter. So we put this cutter in and select the appropriate 3.5mm matboard.........setting dial to 35 as requested........with increases pressure of 0.4..........but its only cutting through part of the board thickness.

On the screen...........where the green / red / green etc head is indicated......there is no "blue " to select...........should there be a "blue" head selection ? ...or which one should we select ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
Fine Framers
www.fineframers.com
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Cutting Deep Bevels on Valiani Mat Pro 120

Post by Merlin »

On the FMD opening screen, along the top icon bar you should see a Yellow box with a Red arrow going into it.
FaceDown.JPG
FaceDown.JPG (140.97 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
This the the 'Cut Face Down' icon. When this is selected, then the 'Blue Head' becomes available to you.

That is assuming the Blue head has been enabled in Machine Settings.
John GCF
A Few More Words

Thanks for that John.

Ok.....clicked the yellow box & selected blue head.......tried a cut............still too light.......went to machine settings......blue head ....everything set at 0 , except

Blade depth correction............5
Z axis hook -2

Changed Blade depth correction from 5 to 10 to 20 ( dial at 45 ) ...........but saw no difference in result

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Tom
Fine Framers
www.fineframers.com
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

are you using the blades for the blue head 100b I think is the code.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

The correct blades are the L100B.

Fault finding and diagnostics by Forum is not easy and can be very protracted.
I ask you a question. Wait. Your reply. Wait. I ask another.... etc etc.

To start we need to know the basics. Has the CMC been calibrated on the Green head and what results are you getting.
What parameters have been set in the MBD for 3500 micron board.
Is this a new Blue Head that you are installing or a Blue Head that has never worked correctly.

As with any problems on machinery, your first port of call should really be your local distributor.
There is a Valiani Support Group (VSG) member in Northern Ireland who will also be able to help.
PM me for details.

If your CMC PC is connected to the internet then contact me and we can arrange a remote access to try and sort you out.
John GCF
A Few More Words

Ok..........Thanks for your help.

I agree that the forum is not the best way of trying to troubleshoot a problem............tooing and frooing etc..............that may correctly be a maintenance / set up issue.
I thought that this particular issue might have been something simple that I was overlooking..............obviously not.
We've had this blue head all along but maybee we never used it before ?? The green head works fine.

Like using any machine, it can be difficult to remember how to perform one of its functions that is not frequently used.........when one has to rely on memory (particularly mine ! ) Even if I did this operation 6 months ago, there is little chance that I would now remember the correct set up etc. We should really keep better notes on set up / configurations etc.

Indeed, its a pity that a full operations manual does not exist for this machine............it could help solve a lot of issues and ensure that the best can be got from the machine.

Thanks for your pointers re the blades............Ill look into that...........and if I get no joy , Ill revert to the support channels.

Many thanks

Tom
Fine Framers
www.fineframers.com
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I have gained so much over the years form many open forums where technical support for random gadgetry that I own has been freely given. Even though the fault finding diagnostics on those forums is often protracted, with many questions and answers flying back and forth in an effort to get to the heart of the matter, I am enormously grateful to those who took the trouble to see it through to the end rather than diverting off forum to seek the solution. In fact, I would often learn as much, or more, from the journey to the solution as from the final solution itself. Having ready access to whole thread is often invaluable.

For this reason I’d like to see, where possible (and appropriate), questions answered on the forum rather than being diverted away.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

John, the question in the initial post about Blue head selection was answered on the Forum with an image and an explanation of where to find it.

The next question was about machine settings. Here it gets a little more difficult. As a Valiani CMC user, I could have reeled off my software settings. However, I did not because I have a different CMC and my settings will not work on his CMC. In fact it could have caused damage that could turn out to be expensive.
Plus, before looking at or even changing anything in Machine settings other variables have to be taken into account. As I stated in my reply “To start we need to know the basics…….”

This Valiani CMC is not some sort of ‘random gadgetry’, it is an expensive piece of kit and is one of the reasons why a large number of manufacturers – in what ever field you choose – dislike the use of open forums to give specific technical advice/support.

As a long time Forum member, where possible, I have and will answer the questions on the Forum, yet in this case it was not appropriate. There are SME’s out there who will give the correct advice and fix.
John GCF
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Sorry John, from your tone it appears that you have taken offence at my gadget reference. Is it the price that makes a CMC not a gadget? It can hardly be its complexity as any of my “random gadgets” would be orders of magnitude more complex than any CMC.

No, what I was trying say is that while the forum can certainly be used to announce new (dare I say it) gadgets, gizmos, and software updates, it is also a great platform for product support. I have a lot of respect for companies who are prepared to support their wares on an open forum, I think it demonstrates a certain level of confidence in their product.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i do see john what you mean about freely given ADVICE on forums, and i have gained like you from various forums etc

BUT

SUPPORT is a different matter, SUPPORT can realisticly only be given by the supplier or their trained support people

BUT this is symantics, merlin did the right thing, and suggested that the customer contact the supplier for proper support, AFTER giving good simple fix advice
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

In hindsight, I shouldn’t have used this thread to make a general point, sorry about that. I just took the opportunity to make my feelings known, however I do hope that not too many folk will disagree with me regarding having their framing related products supported on the forum.

I’m just going to stop this thread here, but it is not in order to censor the discussion. If anyone would like to start a thread on the pros and cons of product support on the forum, I’ll be more than happy to contribute.