What's a good printer?

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
prospero

What's a good printer?

Post by prospero »

My printer has gone west. :(

It started printing blank pages. Now the scanner won't work. :cry:

So I want a new one. But the choices are legion and I'm going round in circles trying to pick a decent one that does all I want and no more. There is a Kodak one that claims to have the most economical ink useage, but for all I know it's a total lemon otherwise.

I don't want to print hi-quality images. Mostly docs. I just want a reliable machine, user-friendly that doesn't cost a bomb in ink.

Any recommendations appreciated. :SD
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: What's a good printer?

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I have the Kodak Hero 5.1 wireless on the home network. Cheap and basic but prints quite well. Its hard to say about ink usage as my daughter is in the habit of printing A4 full colour images - because she can......

Its an OK printer.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

have a look at the epson workforce range

cheap and cheap to run too

i have an a3 one with scanner wifi printer etc

and easy to setup
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

for documents I use a black and white HP laser printer, prints an entire page in a couple of seconds, works wireless with all 3 pcs in the shop, prints around 5000 pages per cartridge which are £10 off ebay ( compatable), printer is £99.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I use a Samsung laser printer for work tickets and invoices in the shop. Cost under £50 but genuine toner cartridges are about the same price although they do last a long while.

Back office printer is an HP all in one which uses a black cartridge and a single colour cartridge. This one does produce reasonable quality colour prints on photo paper if required.

Basic Epson printers tend to have three colour cartridges which is a pain.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

Jonny2morsos wrote:Basic Epson printers tend to have three colour cartridges which is a pain.

errrrr why

they are more cost effective cos you dont through away carts half full

with a tripple cart in one, if you print say lots of lanscape pictures you wont use much of the red (or magenta ) ink, so when all the green and blue have gone the cart will say empty even if not all the ink is gone

with three seperate ones each are replace independently and so you get the full use of all the carts
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

I've got an HP 2240, which is a printer, copier, scanner. Wireless. Is economical for everyday printing of B/W. Does colour photos to reasonable quality, on the proper paper. The ink cartridges are very moderately priced. I'm pleased with it.
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks guys. :yes:

The knackered printer in an Epsom and I have been mostly pleased with it. It never did print colour images without a lot of banding though. Despite how many times I did the head cleaning routine. Text, even coloured text no problem. Apparently there is a bug with these printers where a tube gets bunged up which I think is the problem with it. I found an online fix, but the general opinion seemed to be that it can be fixed, but quicker and easier to get a new one.

It did use 4 cartridges though. I don't like chucking multi ones when there is still plenty of one colour left. :?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Well..... I had a trawl round the sales yesterday and found a Canon printer/scanner for £30. So WTH, thought I would try it. Got it installed. Works OK so far. The scanner is a lot better than the Epsom - easier to use. The Epsom gave you no option as to where the scans are stored. For some reason put them in a dedicated folder that didn't show up on Windoze Explorer. Heck of a performance trying to find the files. Also, with each scan it left an icon on the taskbar that would not go away unless I restarted.

New one seems quite well behaved so far. :) Although it doesn't have a tray to catch the copies so they are all going on the floor at the mo. :?