Old pics with a little jazz added .....

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Old pics with a little jazz added .....

Post by StevenG »

Some are just incredible - there's a pic of Elizabeth Taylor.... take a look & you'll understand :)

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/07/36- ... ecent.html

Cheers
Steven
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Old pics with a little jazz added .....

Post by David McCormack »

I've been making traditional black & prints in a darkroom for over 35 years and I'm quite simply in love with monochrome photography.

I don't like these coloured in pictures one bit. They are perfect just as they are :shock:

Some interesting discussion here.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hi David, I do agree with you to a certain extent. Some of those didn't need anything doing but some, in my opinion, have gain a new touch of life.

I'll read the discussion later too - sounds like an interesting topic :)

Cheers
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

I can't deny that they have been done very well and actually do look very good. It's just the photographs are so well known as B&W pictures. Having old family photos coloured is another thing though as they are owned by the family.

Anyway, think I'll have a cuppa Steven and then get back to colouring in all these obeche slips lying on my bench! :Slap:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

It's not right :shake:, I always think of the world as Black & White before 1950 before colour was invented :winky:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Yeah, I know - just thought I'd post as something to do really. Anyway I think it works sometimes - it depends, no real rule except if it looks wrong then it probably is :D

I bought the Laurel & Hardy boxset years ago and they had colourised some episodes - I watched on for about 3 seconds and went back to the b/w versions. Wrong on so many levels (like the crime on multi-storey carpark gag)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

.... but that's another storey.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The BBC broadcast an episode of Dad's Army that had the colour restored. Thing was, the original recording was in colour but it was one of the episodes that got recorded over to re-use the tape. :cry: The only extant copy was in bw. But the clever bit was, although the copy was bw it contained some info about the colour layered into it. Some clever person managed to resurrect the colour. OK, it wasn't brilliant, but it wa a lot better than colourised prints that were filmed in pure bw.

I agree about the Laurel and Hardy stuff. Nice idea, just didn't work. :roll: But as technology progresses who knows.....
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About