Watching TV.

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Re: Watching TV.

Post by cleaver »

Are they ever planned, Mr P? I bet someone walks in this week with an oil the size of double patio doors! :lol:
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Thanks for the heads regarding the "Talking Pictures" channel, I loved Callen. I never would have found it as I've only got as far as channel 41 :lol: and now I will be looking out for "Man in a Suitcase" just to hear the opening music. :) and to watch the star stand his cigarette on end on the table :D

As a coincidence I am about to order a new TV (how confusing is that :? ) as mine is not firing up as I should.

I must be doing something wrong because I cant find the time to watch as much TV as you guys and I'm supposed to be retired :Slap: Saying that, I found Beaky Blinders spellbinding and "Seven worlds one planet" unmissable. As for Wheeler Dealers, if Ed charged the going rate for his work, the flash one would be broke.

Peter.
prospero

Post by prospero »

:D :yes:

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

:lol: :lol: Thanks Peter, I really enjoyed that and a great start to the day.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Glad you enjoyed it. This is my fav, although I have Bonanza on my phone. :lol:

cleaver

Post by cleaver »

P.Pete, you are bang on about Wheeler Dealers: I have to turn if off before spivvy Mike sells the car, as it's nonsense that he thinks he's made a 'profit!!

Imagine you buying an antique frame for £100, spending 15 hours restoring it (and £30 in materials) then selling it for £200....and claiming you'd made a profit!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. you buggers....I'd never heard of Man in a Suitacse...I'm going to have to check it out now!
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

The Virginian and Bonanza - now your talking :rock: Little Joe was over 6ft tall and he was the shortest of the three brothers :lol:

Peter, I am soooo envious of the way you upload this stuff. Would you teach me how to do it? it should only take a month or three before I get my head around it :oops:

"Never heard of Man in a Suitcase" :shock: Wher's u bin? :lol:

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There's very little point in buying in old frames to refurbish and try to sell them at a profit, unless you've already got knowledgable and discerning customers, who are banging on your door wanting to buy such frames. There was a time when it was worth me buying frames from the auctions and turning them into mirrors, but that was a while ago now.

Buying and selling used frames, mirrors and small bits of furniture is getting more difficult, because there's too many people trying to get in on the market. Items worth buying at auctions are fetching prices that don't always leave enough margin for a worthwhile profit and even if you think there is a reasonable margin, by the time you accounted for your costs and labour, it might turn out to be less worthwhile than at first you thought.

Refurbishing used items these days is not the same game as it was about ten years ago. I've been at this for quite a while now and I find in much easier to buy something damaged at a rock bottom price and fix it up cheaply, while also being prepared to sell it at a sensible price in a sensible time scale. |You can still make money doing things like this, but getting large profit margins for very little work is not always realistic these days.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

Very interesting Mark :D but what's that got to do with "Watching TV"? :?

Peter.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I was replying to the bit at the end of Cleaver's post in this thread (Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:40 pm) where he mention spending money on restorting antique frames. Sorry if it seemed a bit unconnected.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Come on, Mark...join the party: what old/odd telly programmes do you like / miss? (I know you like your Youtube bloke who does all the woodwork stuff.)
prospero

Post by prospero »

We had a teacher at school called McGill. Guess what his nickname was? He was a foul git, I do remember that. :lol:

Anyroadup, a half-decent new programme has emerged on BBC. War of the Worlds. Two episodes so far. It's on Sunday nights.
I wouldn't say it's faithful to the book, but it does have the right setting and time period. Storyline fleshed out quite a lot, but at
least it's not transported to America. :wink:

btw. Pete. The two clips were hot-linked to YooToob. Find a clip you like. Select the URL at the top. Ctrl+C.(copy) Go to FF reply and
Ctrl+V (paste). On the updated Forum the link will be displayed as a video. 8) Simples.
Not your average framer

Hi Paul,

It's interesting that you should ask that. I don't have a television these days, But I'm a confirmed bookworm instead. II spend a lot of hours reading books and studying. However I still view plenty of older television material on the internet and I'm a documentary junky. I am especially interested in history, architecture and stuff like that. I also enjoy a lot of older comedy programs, such as only Fools and Horse's and stuff like that. I am most definitely into programs like salvage hunters and anything to do with old things, traditional craftmanship and making things by hand.

Programs about making things by hand, not only interests me as a subject, but I am well into the creativity of making things myself as well and it's not just woodworking. I love to learn how to do new things, especially if there's a historic aspect to the skills one needs to learn. I can be kept amused for hours looking round old country houses and trying to figure out how old things used to be made. Somehow modern things are not quite as interesting. I'm very interested in proper cookery and cooking with herbs and spices. I would not claim to be an expert, but I know what I like and get by quite nicely.

I also like mending things that have become broken, I don't much like the throw away society that we live in and can usually figure out how to cut inside of things intended to not possible to get inside things not meant to be possible to repair. Many products are labeled as not containing any user repairable parts and I find that's not always true. So any programs about re-purposing, or repairing old things is just up my street.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

"I read a Book once...... Green it was". :D

If you can name the series then you are a bona fide TV comedy nut. If you can name the character and actor.... :clap:
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

The Virginian and Bonanza are great programs, as is the high chaparral.

I also love Columbo which is on 5 usa most weekends. I record them and watch when i can.

Will binge watch war of worlds. I will record series rather than have to wait a week for the next episode.

My wife and i enjoy the bbc4 programs on saturday night from other European countries. Danish 'the bridge' , Icelandic 'Trapped', 'Italian 'Inspector Montalbano' and French 'Spirals' are a few i remember. They are Saturday night at 9pm.

Prospero - That will be Porridge, saw it recently on uk gold or something similar.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Oh and Ronnie Barker, Fletcher.

Prefered him in this to Open all hours which i found a bit annoying.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

LOL, my Mrs loves Spiral too.

Ah yes, Mark - I recall you said before you don't have a telly. Very wise!

Isn't the internet incredible for finding just what you want to do/learn about; from how to drive a golf ball, to how to cook with a halogen oven....and all points between. Seems the 15 minutes of fame thing can be a lot more positive than Warhol figured.
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

Talking about programs from European countries what about "Wallander" incredible scenery, acting and riveting story lines.

Peter, once again thanks for the info' about updating links. I will try it out.

Mark, I take my hat off to you for not having a TV and spending time reading. I intend to make more reading my New Years resolution

I find it funny but as I get older I still enjoy films/TV with plenty of blood, sex and violence and yet I wear a cardigan :?

Peter.
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Love Wallander...the original, not Kenneth Branagh's effort.

The European series are so much grittier than the Hollywood stuff: people can be overweight, have bad hair and imperfect teeth. Even the crack addicts in American series seem to have great teeth!

I bought the box set of The Sopranos for about £15 on fleabay a few years ago, brilliant. But my favourite is Mad Men (I even paid full price for those box sets when they came out!!).

Also managed to score the complete Larry Sanders for about £20 last year. Sublime. No flipping!
prospero

Post by prospero »

10/10 for Porridge, but line was spoken by Brian Glover who played the gormless Mr. Heslop. :|