How's the flooding near you?

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

How's the flooding near you?

Post by Not your average framer »

We've got lots of flood warnings around us and currently most of the routes out of our town are not passable for normal vehicles. Fortunately, we are at the top of the town. At the botom of the town, the river Bovey has burst it's banks and flooded the bottom of the town.

I hope the rest of you guy's are keeping o.k.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: How's the flooding near you?

Post by prospero »

Weather's a bit rough but no flooding.

This was a few weeks ago about 5 miles from me.

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

That looks a bit grim!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

It’s a little wet here - But flood plains doing their job - although one guy did try to drive over the bridge - his car got swept away a little bit and had to abandon it!

Attachments
B8F872B3-A090-4606-9CE0-7DB80062429E.jpeg
prospero

Post by prospero »

The water has subsided a tad, but the road has been weakened and closed until they can fix it. I used to drive
down it regularly. The farmland will be unusable for a few years. The poor man who runs it had only just taken it over.

.... few weeks ago.

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

There was a bad storm down here that damaged a lot of the towns roofing. Lots of customers were avoiding spending money at that time for months and that really hit my business takings for that year. I hope that the flooding does not affect the town in the same way. Unfortunately, the main road from north to south here is being dig up to put new water and sewage pipes in and the road is already up and the work is scheduled to take almost a year and the town has almost no passing traffic.

People get to know about the traffic lights and delays and avoid the town. I'm less bothered than some, as I'm working less hours since my stroke and I'm still getting better following the stroke. The level of business in the town took a dive following the credit crunch and never got back to where it was before that. The town used to be a destination town at one time and was heaving with tourists, but alas no longer.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer