Characters from 14 years ago NEC Spring Fair

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Characters from 14 years ago NEC Spring Fair

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Came across these and thought how the framing market was in 2007.

Yes there was a huge dump of snow that year

For anyone relatively new to framing >>>#

The oldies are Roy Rowlands ( aka GCF 001)
Pete Bingham ( aka The Bingster, and other names :giggle: )
Group pic Keith Hewitt, Roy Rowlands, John Ranes USA (the FT demonstrator) , George from Sibu Malaysia, and and John MacAfee

What is your most memorable event of those Spring Fairs ?
Attachments
NEC FEB 2007 010.jpg
NEC FEB 2007 008.jpg
NEC FEB 2007 002.jpg
Copy of NEC FEB 2007 009.jpg
Copy of NEC FEB 2007 007.jpg
Copy of NEC FEB 2007 005.jpg
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Re: Characters from 14 years ago NEC Spring Fair

Post by David »

Two people come immediately to mind who had a massive influence on my framing career. Brian Wolf and John Raines, John was the reason I bought a Fletcher mount cutter and started doing offset corners, Mr Wolf opened my eyes to what could be done with framing and started me on the path of creative framing. I would go to the Spring Fair just to see Mr Wolf do his thing, a framing god if there ever was one.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I remember that year. The weather was not to bad when we started our journey down in devon and we were not really dressed for what it was like when we got to the NEC and walking from the car park across to the NEC buildings I trod in the snow in the gutters at the side of the road and Got my shoes filled with some very cold water, which obviously has plenty of road salt in it. As my shoes dried out while wandering around the Art and Framing area, my shoes started to look very white and shabby, but my feet continued to be squelching in my shoes from the rest of the day.

I always made a point on popping along to visit Pete Bingham, as I had already spent a week training with him in the summer of 2005. He was great fun and always was good for jokes and gags. It was him who was the imspiration for me getting started doing hand finished frames and I learnt a lot from him, which I later adapted to use my own mixture of chalky emulsion and acrylic paints, which I still use even now. I remember the demonstrator on the Keencut stand teaching me a lot of the finer points of cutting multiple aperture mounts, I can still remember his face even now, but just can not remember his name. He later wrote some really great articules for picture bussiness.

It was a long journey home and my feet where like blocks of ice all the way home. I have never enjoyed driving on motorways and used to go home via the M40 and A429 through the Cotswalds where we fould a little cafe at Moreton in the Marsh, called the Marshmallow with a lovely roaring fire, only to get my feet soaked again with freezing cold water on the way back to the car. A was a good day which I remember well and my wife never really liked the long journey to the NEC, but always came along to keep an eye upon me as I had only recently recovered from my heart attack earlier during the same year.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

The Keencut demonstrator was I believe Richard Clark
The only picture I have of him from that era, is at the Madrid show in 2005.
Here he is demonstrating a Longridge mount cutter ( during his break! )
Robin Lockwood ( Mr Keencut) would turn in his grave if he knew Richard had so much as put his hands on a Longridge. :giggle:
Attachments
Richard Clarke endorses Longridge_2.jpg
Keith Hewitt
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks Keith,

That is the man!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

David wrote: Wed 13 Jan, 2021 10:39 am Two people come immediately to mind who had a massive influence on my framing career. Brian Wolf and John Raines, John was the reason I bought a Fletcher mount cutter and started doing offset corners, Mr Wolf opened my eyes to what could be done with framing and started me on the path of creative framing. I would go to the Spring Fair just to see Mr Wolf do his thing, a framing god if there ever was one.
Totally agree with you David, I spent most of my vists to the Spring Fair (and the old Autumn Fair in London) standing watching the two of them them
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

A few more pics from 2004 , 2005 and 2007

China 2 pics from Beijing. Note the girl selling pics, work out the cost - about 9 yuan to £1.00 :shock: :o
And some creative spelling outside frame shop. At least they tried. This was 2004.

Who was this character in the gaudy suit at NEC. Simon Drew

The pic of the big reel is from Brownville USA, a mill that made the core board ( mostly black) for many mount board mfgs, such as all the USA laminators + James Cropper ( makers of LJ Artique range) ColourMount, Daler, Moorman and many others. Their machine was very old and slow and without any investment they went bust about 10 years ago. Leaving just one USA mill making core board.

2005, A younger Nico Valiani on the stand of Herranz at the Spanish frame show in Madrid. On one occasion I counted more than 50 framers on the Herranz stand. Never seen such numbers on any other distributors stand at any show anywhere, Back then the Spanish domestic market was booming.
Attachments
China frame shop 7 note prices.jpg
Canada - Asia Nov 2004 026 cropped image.jpg
Canada - Asia Nov 2004 026 cropped image.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 7565 times
NEC FEB 2007 003.jpg
April 07 - USA - Hawaii etc 013.jpg
Nico_3.jpg
Keith Hewitt
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

IMG_6778A.jpg
Steve, do you remember this mount design, it was one of John Ranes exhibition party pieces and one of the first offset corner mounts I did, wouldn't use such a big step these days. Still have the picture, its my daughter - she's 27 now....
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Hi David
I sure do, I have used it a few times, I remember going to KeenCut once, and they said it couldn't be done on a double mount, so I showed them how :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I always remember Byron mouldings stand being very creative!