How do you get to work?

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

How do you get to work?

Post by Roboframer »

And how far is it? Anyone live on the premises?

For me a 5 minute walk - or a 2 minute cycle. But that's only if my wife has the day off (or is taking too long in the bathroom!)

Otherwise we drive the tiny distance so's we have the car when req'd.

We normally arrive at 08:50 for 9.

(Oh, and if we get there early we park the car diagonally across 3 spaces - then, once all the selfish/idle/no business sense gits that work in other shops and park outside all day - for the sake of a 90 second walk - have got to work, we reverse round the back)
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I envy you John,

I have a 25 minute commute at 6:30AM but rush-hour is literally that, an hour, that is - not a rush!

Car parking (city centre) costs a fortune of course.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Approx a ten minute walk.

Drive is about 5 mins, unfortunately into a council car park which charges £200 per year for a parking permit. Although they are trying to move the 'all day' parking down to the bottom of the town, which then becomes an 8 minute drive and a 15 minute walk up a steep hill.

Chamber of commerce are fighting that one at the moment. Getting nowhere at the moment either.

Arrive at about 8.30 for a 9 opening. Close at 4 everyday except Wednesday which is 3 for half day.
John GCF
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Our journey usually takes 15 to 20 minutes to do about 6 to 8 miles. It's not a fast trip due to the rural B-roads, but you don't get any rush hour traffic. If there are any hold-ups it's usually a tractor or sometimes similar.

We don't have a fixed opening time and usually open about 9.30, which we tell people is a "Dartmoor 9 o'clock". No one from around here thinks there's anything un-usual about this, in fact the whole town is quite laid-back and fairly much behind the times in general.

Our premises are a tiny rather cluttered old fashioned shop and I have learnt to just go with the flow and make the most of the old fashioned behind the times image which we find to be good for business.
Cheers,
Mark
markw

Post by markw »

ten minutes - might get delayed by a tractor or horse. small Cotswold village to small cotswold market town. Stunning drive past Westonbirt arboretum - always something different to see - can be very distracting - rhodedendrons are in blossom at the moment - Acers changing colour in the autumn and they put coloured spot lights on the trees in early winter. Through Doughton - Prince Charles lives here and you often see large groups of journalists - photographers etc stood outside waiting for someone to come out - japanese tourists seem to make this a stop on their whistlestop around the UK strange realy because all they can see is a eight foot high cotswold stone wall and maybe a few journalist.
Park near shop - not outside - It realy bugs me when other shop keepers park vans etc outside the shops - fortunatley I have a zebra crossing outside my shop - Tetbury folk have a strange view about parking restrictions - they ignore them completly.

Well thats the simple version - but i might take youngest daughter to school adding 30 minutes to journey, and my youngest son is just about to start at FE college in Cirencester adding 20 miles to the journey - nice living in the cotswolds - just wish we some public transport. when my elder children were at Cirencester FE college I could end up driving there three or four times a day.