Ad Lib break in Cornwall

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

Ad Lib break in Cornwall

Post by Roboframer »

We are thinking about taking a quick break to Cornwall next week, mid week, just before the schools break up.

As there are a few of you from that part of the world and I've never been further West than Bournemouth - where are the nicest places - what is the Eden Project like?
And if the Eden Project is good, where is the nicest coastal place to stay nearby?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

John
I have replied by private message
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

Eden project is stunning - shouldnt be too busy before state schools break up.

I like the Roseland Peninsula - St Mawes is very nice - You can catch a ferry from there to Falmouth.

Sure John Cooper would have his recomendations.

My youngest son was down in Cornwall last week and saw lots of Basking Sharks.

If your into history the Castles at St Mawes and Falmouth are stunning - great tour of defences at Falmouth - Pendennis Castle - much of it second world war defences. St. Mawes is much smaller but in wonderfull condition.
New Museum of the Sea in Falmouth is worth a visit. Tate Gallery in St Ives - I always find the galleries in St Ives to be better than the Tate and always pinch a few ideas.

Enjoy.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thanks John & Mark,

Some great info, we will book somewhere over the weekend.

Cor, my second break in 11 years, and then a week in The States 1st week of August.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well it doesn't look like it's gonna happen!

Wife just spent last 2 days in London at her parents' - This afternoon the car packed in on her - she thought a hose had come off the radiator - but no, the radiator hose housing had snapped at the hose - new radiator!

AA did excellent botch job - it got her home tonight - garage can't get new radiator till Monday, and now the air con has packed in - no way do I want to drive all that way this time of year with no air con - I used to but now I am used to air con I won't - and my wife is even less willing!

Air con can't be sorted 'til Tue or Wed and all this pratting around means I cannot pull all the stops out to get well ahead with the framing orders and avoid a huge backlog. My framer is very capable but I know what will happen - he will be prevented from working by having to take orders all day, and/or assist at the counter selling to all the craft nutters!

Last time we decided to shoot off ad-lib, about 10 minutes before we were due to leave, the lawnmower shop behind us were demo-ing a strimmer - flicked up a stone and put it through our windscreen!

Called out auto glass who turned up with the wrong windscreen, then it was all too late!

"Things are against us"

So we'll be boring and plan ahead for after the summer term, we could probably work around this, but not easily, and that was the idea - just go.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Too bad John.

But look on the bright side.

As a picture framer, like myself, your whole life is pretty much a holiday. 8)
markw

Post by markw »

You could hire a car - or take a train - Its going to be a fantastic weeks weather if the forcast is to be believed - I cant see many customers bothering to get things framed when it starts to get realy hot.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi All
Yes we have noticed the down turn already.

One long holiday now as John (Boss man) says!. Sat at the design desk watching the empty street, with only the feathers and down of the nesting doves wafting by on the breeze.

Oh well on with making yet more 'Ready Mades' and the beach and cliffs are only a matter of 10 minutes away. No, who in their right mind would want to go and sit there watching the 'fried eggs' getting quickly burnt in the hot sun!!

Mind you the comment heard in the shop some two weeks ago still rings loud in the ears!. A couple from the Midlands were in and the lady really fell in love with a framed picture. On asking her husband if she could have it he turned round and said. "Darling, its either a tank full of diesel so that we can tour the area or the picture. We cannot afford both of them. " Price of framed art = £75.

I hope that is not a precursor of things to come.
John GCF
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi John,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Have you looked at flying? There are regular flights to Exeter, Plymouth or Newquay. I never flown from these airports, but I understand the services available are quite good and reasonably priced. Some friends of ours flew up to the Edinbourgh tattoo from Exeter and for two of them it was much cheaper than to drive there.

BTW, if you bought some stock from Newlyn, St. Ives or wherever you might be able to put the flights down as a business expense.
Cheers,
Mark
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Nah - the whole idea was to just go. Now that planning comes into it - stuff it!

We will take a day out though - after air con is sorted - leave at early o'clock, return at late o'clock. Maybe Rye to the East, maybe the IOW to the West.

Gawd I used to CYCLE to Portsmouth and back not long ago.

Wife won't fly on 'big' planes - she'll do a harrier to Alderney - you know - pilot in a leather helmet etc - but doesn't like the safe ones - they go too high!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Here we go,

Garage dutifully collect car from shop this morning, ring us a few hours later. After taking out the old radiator, they discovered they had ordered the wrong replacement!

Right model Volvo but forgot it was a 'Wentworth' (Like 'Ghia' to Fords) - we bought it from them and they have it about 3 times a year!

So now the aircon won't be sorted till Wednesday - maybe Thursday instead of Tuesday.

AND - we are having a new condenser boiler fitted at home, my wife spent the morning at home, I buckled down to it in the workshop with my framer - working on tomorrow's jobs (lot's) - I HATE not being 3 days ahead. by 1pm we had just 5 jobs to complete, 3 photos with slips, another with a spacer (one of those customers who insists on no mount) and an oil (imported junk on blue 'canvas') to stretch and frame.

So I swapped places with my wife as she had things to do down the shop too.

My framer spent practically all afternoon taking framing orders - AND my wife did! I had to go down this evening and finish off the jobs!
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

pop in on us if you are down this way (penzance) collegues always welcome - never hurts to have a look in someone elses shop, does it!
Kev
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

OK - booked it now - 20 months later - how ad-lib is that!

Easter weekend, Windward Hotel Porth Bay Newquay. Leaving straight from work on the Sat, returning Mon night. Pat's birthday next day - she can have that day off to recover from the break! It'll be our second in 14 years, unless you count NEC trade shows!

Going to see if Mike, my framer, can cut it taking orders, God knows he is used to dealing with people, ex London cabbie, then had his own printing business. I've got 3 weeks or so to see if he can stand in in the shop for a few hours that Saturday - if so we can leave midday - if not, so what.

Never know, it may be that he hits the spot and fills the existing vacancy!
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

If you fancy a day out, further south and west then come on down and pop in Helston...
John GCF
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

Sooooooo jealous. Wish I was going back to Cornwall. Had all the holidays away I'm going to get this year. Lots of work to do following an extension and other building work at home, both in the house and in the garden which has been a builder's yard for the last 4 months.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

pop in and see us :)
Phill

Post by Phill »

It would be nice to see you again John if you have time to pop in and say hello, we are only about 6 miles from Porth, infact I used to live in a house that over looked Porth. Will pm address.
8)
Phill