Drawing course year two

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

Drawing course year two

Post by Roboframer »

The first year http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 07&p=75794 was graphite and pencil, this year is still pencil but colour - although the pencils are the type that can be blended with water.

This is the project for the first term - a teapot on a chequered tea towel which is pinned up behind it and illumimated from above, it needs some more work and there's been no water blending (which will make the colours more solid) yet, but I'm quite pleased with it.
teapot 010.JPG
teapot 010.JPG (211.71 KiB) Viewed 9198 times
Graysalchemy

Re: Drawing course year two

Post by Graysalchemy »

Well done John :clap: :clap:

Adding colour will add a whole new dimension and a whole new learning curve :giggle: :giggle:

It looks very good, it looks like a fantastic course. :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Glass, doing my head in! This is 3 sessions in and it'll probably take another 5 or 6 to finish, so what you're looking at is exploratory, getting a feel - there's a fancy pourer to add on the top and a whole lot of colour and balance, but you get the gist, a carafe on a mirror, with a cork bung that happened to be passing!
glass carafe.jpg
glass carafe.jpg (334.39 KiB) Viewed 9078 times
After this we'll be challenged with other nasty things, but not whole things, just small areas of things, hard things, soft things, shiney things, dull things .... and then it's on to our final project - absolutely anything we like, we decide; not teecher. I'm thinking architecture, maybe a big old church door with long rusty hinges, all set in flint, lots of different textures ........... but no glass!
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

or some big buxom woman!!!!

you can explain to pat it for learning :-))
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I have a hi res photo of the most amazing church door with tons of texture, if you want it for reference.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thanks, would give some inspiration at the very least.

At the end of June we'll be exhibiting our work, not just the finished projects but our progress, from our first attempts with no help on day one, through, stage by stage, to each finished project.

It was this exhibtion that inspired me to sign up for this course, which I'd always known about because teecher is a customer ..... but I hadn't realised what she could achieve. She'd not showcased her students' work in this way before; she had a book that you could put your name in for the course "So, you think you can't draw" but unfortunately I turned up on the last day of the exhibtion .... she was on her second book and it was almost full, I waited 3 years to get on the course and only got on this one becasue someone dropped out!

The exhibtion is in our village church, which, like most village churches is, like ... really old! So I thought it might be nice to have its door, or something, as my final project. Something you could look at and then step outside and see for real.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

After today's session. Next week - add water - no, not inside the carafe, to the drawing, or parts of it.
carafe 2.JPG
carafe 2.JPG (301.5 KiB) Viewed 9016 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well that was scary! Pretty much done now.
carafe green.jpg
carafe green.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 8930 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well here's two sessions in - in pastel pencil - to our local church door, well, one of its doors and just detail of the top right. Just worrying about shape, size, position and tone for now, the pinks aren't that pink and the blues aren't that blue, etc. Will have to find out what the geezer's name is, probably one of the disciples/saints - am calling him "Isiah" for now as the eyes aren't right, one Isiah than the other :giggle: But at least you get the impression that he's further forward.
pastel church door.JPG
pastel church door.JPG (166.37 KiB) Viewed 8793 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

This is taking some time! Should have been finished today but we were on our own as our teacher had to take her MIL to hospital. Another session and it'll be done, if not I'll finish it at home. More work on the arch and bottom right, might do a bit more of the door itself - or not - and then some strengthening/adjustment here and there etc.

4-6 July we will be exhibiting our work, 13 of us (two classes) from our first attempts with no guidance, step by step through to finished projects. The exhibition will be just behind this door! (The church was modernised a few years ago, all the old pews ripped out and replaced with chairs that can be cleared away for concerts, exhibitions, etc)
pastel 5.JPG
pastel 5.JPG (240.53 KiB) Viewed 8658 times

A couple of other students' stuff .....
drawing course1.JPG
drawing course1.JPG (187.87 KiB) Viewed 8658 times
Audrey has some way to go because coffee was split on the first attempt!
drawing course2.JPG
drawing course2.JPG (152.24 KiB) Viewed 8658 times
drawing course3.JPG
drawing course3.JPG (198.11 KiB) Viewed 8658 times
Breadfruit - A1
drawing course4.JPG
drawing course4.JPG (210.11 KiB) Viewed 8658 times
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Easy to see your talents improving all the time and that last pencil piece is fantastic!! Keep it up sire :)