Guess what happened next......

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Guess what happened next......

Post by kev@frames »

Tom, Jumping on the trade waste.
This is part of the twice weekly "compacting the bin" ceremony.
at £9 a lift, we jam as much in as we can....

Tom nimbly leaping from the bin......

Yup, it all goes horribly wrong.

Ive been waiting with a camera to catch tom with this one since it happened to me three years ago...... note what happened to the yellow stool :shock:
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

hehehe, that brought a smile to my face.

i've often ended up flat on the floor due to bin related injuries,

we have a tiny tiny tiny bin, and it gets collected weekly. Compacting as much as possible in has become a ritual.

Grahame
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Our wheelie bin is approx twice the size of that one and I do that all the time, but I don't use a stool, I use the bars on the side that the binwagon grabs, one time on the way out my foot slipped off the bar and I landed nastily astride the lip of the bin and fell back in, groaning - eventually climbed out to an audience - all peeing themselves.

We pay almost a grand a year to have our non-domestic waste collected (Don't go there - why is this not included in non-domestic rates when it is in domestic rates) and we went through a phase of finding black bin bags of domestic waste in our wheelie bin - they seemed to be placed there on the domestic collection day - we have a flat above us and the rear of one house has access from our side entrance - must be one of them doing this.

Domestic waste is collected one day after ours, so, these bags of rotting vegetation, already up to one week old, would fester for another week before collection.

So, one domestic bin day I pulled out a black bin bag and sifted through it - found letters addressed to the house with access, put it right outside his back door.

Later it had gone - Ha! That'll be the end of THAT then!

NOPE!

Next bin day - two black bags - GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! So - sifted through them again, this time, if it's the same guy, it's all going through the guys letterbox!!! But this time found evidence that it was from the flat above - a little old lady who can hardly make it down the steps, let alone carrying a binbag .... BUT - her daughter & son-in-law visits each week - fell out with them BIG time once when they nicked my private parking space - right under my workshop porch AND argued the toss when I told them to shift - Oh Yeah - that'll be who dumped those bags in my bin.

We get on very well with the little old lady - even if she did leave a tap running one day and wrote off £2,000's worth of stock - we just had a 'slush sale' rather than cause her the stress of an insurance claim.........

I digress - long story short IT WAS ................... Drumroll........
THE DOMESTIC BINMEN!!! Sods could not be arsed to walk to their wagon - just bunged it in our wheelie bin.

Next week I waited and watched but got called to the shop as they arrived, checked minutes later - sure enough, two black bags. Checked out front, binwagon parked up, binmen having a fag (oops - for our American viewers, a cigarette - what visions must you be getting right now!!!)

I was so mad that I forgot that they were all half my age and twice my size, I ripped open their wagon door so hard that one of them almost fell out and yelled "STOP BUNGING DOMESTIC WASTE IN MY ******** WHEELIE BIN OR I'LL STICK ................... er ..... a complaint to your superiors!!"

They tried saying that their 'round' started past me - "Nah - not us gov" But it was, I complained to the council, it was sorted.

I hate this ripoff system so much, and domestic recycling here is such a non-starter, that I think I'll just bring all my domestic waste home and burn it.

Glass is the only problem.
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

John

Highly amused with the binmen saga. Hope you didn't get a bunch of fives and mouthful of verbals after all that.

Our paper waste goes home to fire up the woodburner.

The glass gets cut into 3" or less strips, put into a good strong poster tube or two and funnelled into a glass re-cycle bin. I know, meant for bottles, but will get melted down in the same way.

I dare say someone will say it's not allowed, but it does make sense.
Measure twice - cut once
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

On this side of the Atlantic, we are discouraged from adding picture glass to the recycle bin.

Some nonsense about the stuff we use containing lead, brain damage, and kids becoming babbling idiots. I figure that some people are simply destined to become hatters when they grow up.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
dottad

Post by dottad »

:oops:
I like this guys, and a bit of a laught/fun is good for everyone.
Funnily enough, I have just been outside to enjoy the sunshine here in bonny scotland and the industrial unit across from us has a large wheelie bin and lo and behold one of the guys jumped into it to flatten the stuff inside - oh did I wish I had my camera with me!!!
He didn't fall in, over or out though!

On a serious note though. My day job is dealing with the health and safety for our company and although it is great to have a laugh when no one is hurt, there is the serious issue of one of you employees getting seriously hurt and maybe the Health and Safety Executive getting involved, never mind employee sueing you for damages etc. So maybe finding another way to tamper down the contents of bins might be on the agenda. :(
Also, if you are a sole trader, who will carry on your business if you end up in hospital with a fractured sku
Dot
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Rather than individual “wheelie bins” we have a commercial “dumpster” which sits behind our shop. It serves the five other tenants of the building so it has a reasonably large capacity that demands that it only be emptied once every two weeks or so.

A few years ago in the middle of July, one of the other tenants came into my shop looking pasty white and begged me to go to the dumpster with her.

When I looked in, there was the carcass of a moose (the body, but not the head). Apparently, some motorist had hit the poor critter, and rather than report it to the police and, perhaps, incur a fine, he decided to decapitate it and award himself a trophy.

Not only was it the hottest time of year, but the dark dumpster served as an oven. The stench of the rotting corpse was enough to gag a maggot. BUT, when we notified the landlord of this problem, he was unmoved. The dumpster people had just emptied the container a few days before, and he would have had to pay an additional fee to have it emptied again. Not this cheapskate!

By the time it was time for the truck to come again, rotting body fluids were oozing out of it.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Bill Henry wrote:
By the time it was time for the truck to come again, rotting body fluids were oozing out of it.
Mmmmmmmmmmm Gamey!!