art on the move

Conservation Issues
michelle
Organisation: Blackcab Studio
Interests: Driving my 1965 Bedford Dormobile.

art on the move

Post by michelle »

I have a customer who is wanting a quote for some valuable art to be mounted to museum standard, I was going to use a sink mount to support the work & conservation v strips. In addition to the under mount and top mount they want a protective sheet that can flip over the front of the mount to protect the actual art. I also suggested sleeves for the items to be stored in. So my question is what top cover and sleeves would you recommend as a way of protecting them. They are not going to be framed in the short term but are going to be transported as part of a tour.
Roboframer

Re: art on the move

Post by Roboframer »

Why a sink mount, are they on boards? If not, the mounting strips on their own should be fine. Then maybe cello-wrap them.
michelle

Post by michelle »

thanks robo, some are on boards and others are fragile but I haven't seem them yet ( just description from customer.) so I was trying to quote to cover all possible needs. if the papers are fragile I was thinking of encapsulation but not quite sure how to then attach that to the museum under mount to still ensure it is to museum standard. I am using Lion clear polyester film 95 would this be ok in this circumstances or is the quality not adequate. Many thanks as usual.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

How valuable is the work?

One thing you may need to consider is extra insurance cover. I framed a piece which was probably worth as much as my house last year but I made the frame prior to its arrival and fitted it into the frame while the customer waited. Fortunately the work was already mounted and I was merely replacing the frame. I wouldn't have been able to carry out the work as the insurance premium would probably have been prohibitive.
michelle

Post by michelle »

I have checked with my insurance company and the customer and will make temp arrangements if necessary. not planning on having them with me any longer than I need, just like you want rid of them asap. its all very exciting as they are a find from under someones bed.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not sure if Lions clear polyester is the same as PEL's etc, it's probably fine.

I'm not sure about encapsulation - it's not covered under FATG museum level. An overlay instead of encapsulation would put the artwork against the under mount but with them travelling and with the DS tape holding the film so close to the artwork, there's a chance it could come in to contact with it, or at least be much closer to it than it should be. So I think the edge mounting strips would be great - cotton barrier paper ones attached with starch paste.

I think platform mounts would work - I don't think they're covered under FATG museum level either but I'd say they actually exceed it! But as they're going to get a lot of handling I'd tape the 'platform' in all the way around, not just the corners.

Thicker items would only need a sink mount.
michelle

Post by michelle »

I am liking the platform mount idea not one I had thought of, so thank you for reminding me of it as an option. I am now fully armed with lots of options so am looking forward to getting it on with it. lets hope the quote is acceptable. One last question before I mess up on some expensive board, how easy is it to cut peterboro 3mm museum board on the keencut? any tips or do I go straight to a cmc owner?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I never had much luck with 2.4mm or thicker boards on the keencut - wasted board calibrating the blade depth and the stops and then having to re-calibrate back to 4 ply but being an impatient SOB wouldn't have helped, I know many have great success with it.

I wouldn't like to try a platform mount with a 90 degree cut manually - a bevelled cut is OK but 90 degree is best, especially in this case, it's a doddle for a CMC.

Would be one less board to cut/have to pay to get cut if you used mounting strips though.

I'd also suggest, just because they do not have the same pressure to help hold mount/undermount together that they'd have in a frame, to bond the undermount to the mount at the extremities. Not 'museum' standard of course, but neither is the handling they're going to get.