Striving for perfection?

Conservation Issues
Roboframer

Striving for perfection?

Post by Roboframer »

Is there anything wrong with applying the 'best' techniques for most anything?

Especially seeing as they don't have to be the most expensive or time consuming and are usually the most effective?

Just one example - a brick stuck to mountboard with copious amounts of silicone/whatever.

The surface paper of the mountboard could delaminate - use something like bent rods, passed THROUGH the support and that's not an issue, plus it does not need to go off!

Or am I missing summut?
prospero

Re: Striving for perfection?

Post by prospero »

Thoughts for today.... :shock:

"Time will not respect that which it has not taken part"

"Buy cheap, buy twice"

"Measure twice, cut once"

"If you don't feed the cat, you end up feeding the mice"

"Mind the pennies and you will end up with a load of pennies"

"Many a mickle makes a lot of mickles"

"Don't unscrew you Grandad's wooden leg or he will fall over"
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Roboframer wrote:Is there anything wrong with applying the 'best' techniques for most anything?

Especially seeing as they don't have to be the most expensive or time consuming and are usually the most effective?

Just one example - a brick stuck to mountboard with copious amounts of silicone/whatever.

The surface paper of the mountboard could delaminate - use something like bent rods, passed THROUGH the support and that's not an issue, plus it does not need to go off!

Or am I missing summut?
Maybe not, but sometimes the “best” (read most secure or best preservation technique) is not what is called for IMO.

Probably the “best” way of securing a brick would be to drill a hole through it and bolt it to some indestructible backing material. But, that would destroy the look of the brick presentation and be contrary to the look that the customer was after. Likewise, having bent rods seen surrounding the brick may not be what the customer is after, either.

So, in your scenario, silly cone adhesive may be the “best” in this instance.

Likewise, (a not-so-clever segway coming up), using encapsulation techniques to preserve a jig saw puzzle may be overkill, too, IMO. Jigsaw puzzles are generally made from raw, untreated cardboard and are inherently unstable (in a chemical sort of way). I agree that adhesives are generally frowned upon for treating any “art” for conservation, but, regardless of what we do (due to the nature of this jigsaw puzzle) we will probably not be able to keep this from fading or turning to mush).

I realized the “preservation police” will place me on their most wanted list, but, so what? A jigsaw puzzle may be highly prized by a customer, but it is, after all, a cheap piece of “open edition” art. And, like a £9 poster, I have no qualms about placing glass in contact with it. Spacers, in this instance, IMO, is overkill, too – for this kind of art.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Bill Henry wrote:
Maybe not, but sometimes the “best” (read most secure or best preservation technique) is not what is called for IMO.

Probably the “best” way of securing a brick would be to drill a hole through it and bolt it to some indestructible backing material. But, that would destroy the look of the brick presentation and be contrary to the look that the customer was after. Likewise, having bent rods seen surrounding the brick may not be what the customer is after, either.

So, in your scenario, silly cone adhesive may be the “best” in this instance.
Or even mortar - why not? That's what was intended to be used on them and there's a nice demand for old reclaimed bricks - so the mortar can't wreck them that much. Then, as you say, a nice sturdy backing that won't delaminate - maybe you could make it look pretty by covering it in fabric/whatever all bar an area just smaller than't breek (sorry, broke into a Yorkshire accent there)

Well, I won't have to mix any mortar or make an ugly board not so ugly and I also won't have to wait 6 weeks for anything to dry - so I'll save the labour you'll save on the materials, perhaps?

using encapsulation techniques to preserve a jig saw puzzle may be overkill, too, IMO. Jigsaw puzzles are generally made from raw, untreated cardboard and are inherently unstable (in a chemical sort of way). I agree that adhesives are generally frowned upon for treating any “art” for conservation, but, regardless of what we do (due to the nature of this jigsaw puzzle) we will probably not be able to keep this from fading or turning to mush).

I realized the “preservation police” will place me on their most wanted list, but, so what? A jigsaw puzzle may be highly prized by a customer, but it is, after all, a cheap piece of “open edition” art. And, like a £9 poster, I have no qualms about placing glass in contact with it. Spacers, in this instance, IMO, is overkill, too – for this kind of art.
I'd have no qualms either, as long as that was the customer's (informed} choice - encapsulation - well, overlay probably, is just a harmless solution - for smaller things of course - and as said above - the 'best' solutions aren't always expensive or difficult. You'd be left with something you could mat as per normal - mat=bigger frame bigger frame=more wonga and once again no drying time, plus no risk of dropping glue on the thing.

Anyway - overlay it on to artcare board and the zeolites will prevent self destruction by about 4 million years!
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

have you guys got any of that scotch left? :mrgreen:
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

The problem with encapsulation is reflections.

Yesterday I tried encapsulation for framing the vicar's papyrus (discussed elsewhere). Looked terrible because the Mylar wasn't flat and caused all sorts of reflections. So I stuck it in the vacuum press for a while (on cold) but, if anything, that just made it worse.

I guess there's no such thing as non-reflective Mylar...
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

prospero wrote:Thoughts for today.... :shock:
I have thought about your thoughts for the day and came to the following conclusions:-

"Time will not respect that which it has not taken part"
Is this somthing to do with a game of football?

"Buy cheap, buy twice"
Buy one get one free on ready roast chicken at Asda?

"Measure twice, cut once"
According to time management experts this method takes 33% longer than the ‘Measure once, cut once’ method. Even if you measure wrong 10% of the time, it will still save you time and money just to measure once and not twice.

"If you don't feed the cat, you end up feeding the mice"
This is a tricky one. If you don’t feed your cat its going to be hungry, right? So the cat is going to think ‘I’m a bit hungry, I think I will find a mouse to eat’. So should that not be ‘If you don't feed the cat, you end up feeding the mice to the cat’?

"Mind the pennies and you will end up with a load of pennies"
Well that stands to reason.

"Many a mickle makes a lot of mickles"
I have a friend called Mick and if you want him to do something you say “Mickle do it” and more often than not he will. Mick has a brother called Jim and Jim’ll fix it.

"Don't unscrew you Grandad's wooden leg or he will fall over"
During the Second World War my Granddad and his brother were both in the army, unfortunately one had his right leg blown off and the other had his left leg blown off.
Once a year I take them into town to by a pair of shoes.

“Nurse, can I have my tablets now… And what’s that brick doing here?”
prospero

Post by prospero »

Are those my feet? :oops:

The Epilogue.

If all the snakes in the world were laid end to end, one of them would wriggle and spoil it.

Why are wrong numbers never engaged?

Ever seen movie "King Kong" (1933). Sure yav. The natives build a collosal wall to keep Kong confined, which must have taken them years. WTF did they put a door in it? I mean if they did ever have cause to let him out, how did they
propose to get him back in again?
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

:shock:
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

kev@frames wrote: :shock
Yes, indeed, Kev. He's off his meds again. :P
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
The Jolly Good Framer #1

prospero wrote:I mean if they did ever have cause to let him out, how did they propose to get him back in again?
Simple. The natives would leave a trail of bananas back through the door and when King Kong followed the bananas back through the door the natives would quickly shut the door behind him.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Now why didn't I fink of that? :oops:

But why when Thunderbird 2 rolls out onto it's runway do all the palm trees have to fold back? Why not just plant them further back in the first place? And why is it that all all the Tracy family portraits with uniforms switch to casual dress versions when anyone calls? Why not just leave the un-uniformed ones up permanently? I mean, what difference does it make? And as for building a swimming pool right over a place where you want to launch T1, what bright spark thought of that? Why does Lady P have a radio concealed in a silver teapot?

Anyone see "War of the Worlds" movie t'uther week? See the scene where the big tentacle comes looking into the cellar?All the human occupants are keeping very still so they won't be seen. Haven't the Martians hear of infra-red? They have got interplanetary travel cracked and conquered the Earth. If they had thought to watch "Police,Camera, Action", they might have won.

I'm off for a lie down now....... :roll:
Uncle Sumo

Post by Uncle Sumo »

Has anyone ever used a trouser press instead of a hot press?
Sean
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

tried using one instead of a sandwich toaster once, not much success.
The Jolly Good Framer #1

More to the point…
Has anyone ever used a hot press instead of a trouser press?
Uncle Sumo

Post by Uncle Sumo »

Cider press? Flower press? Garlic press? Bench press?
THERE MUST BE A CHEAPER WAY!
Sean
prospero

Post by prospero »

The Jolly Good Framer #1 wrote:More to the point…
Has anyone ever used a hot press instead of a trouser press?
Yes, but be sure to remove trousers first. I won't make that mistake again.:doh:
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

why would one want to remove ones trousers to toast a sandwich?
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

To get hot cross buns?
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I once made a 4 foot by 3 foot toasted baked bean sandwich in a vacuum press. :P

.....No I didn't. I'm a big liar. :evil: