V Groooooooves

Share your CMC experiences.
Or seek help and advice
Dan
Organisation: Cody
Interests: Photography, Just opened up a new shop by Yellowstone National Park

V Groooooooves

Post by Dan »

I had the Valiani and I used to do alot of Vgroves with my Fletcher 6100. With the Valiani when doing suedes I have to work for a long time after the cut to get rid of the roller marks on the suede board. Any help out there as to have to do?

Dan
markw

Re: V Groooooooves

Post by markw »

I don't think there is much you can do to stop any cmc that uses a roller on the cutter foot crushing a suede finish. The normal procedure when cutting any easily marked finish is to cut face down - you obviously cant do this when cutting V grooves.

Off the top of my head couple of suggestions of ways that might work: use a removable masking tape to protect the finish - use a cover sheet of thin paper - adjusting your settings to allow for the extra cut depth.

I would imagine that both suggestions might present other challenges - but would be worth experimenting.

blowing the suede finish with a air gun can just lift the nap and restore the finish.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

You could try reducing the head downward pressure, so that the roller does not flatten the nap too much.

MarkW's suggestions are good. I have used the 'cover sheet' method (500 micron) with some success.
John GCF
Dan

Post by Dan »

I will give those a try before I get a job in that needs it. The air gun to bring the suede back is good I had been useing a tooth brush and it takes so long to work a large board with that.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

use a piece of offcut suede board and rub them face to face to remove the marks. its a very quick solution.
(wizards dont have a wheel but we can get the same problem with debris getting beneath the cutting head footblock). you can see what i mean about the footblock in this youtube video

[youtube]ruXD6vDHONg[/youtube]

On the bright side: Suede is one of the few boards that really lends itself to debossing nicely, whatever CMC you have. V-grooves can be a bit too "in your face" on suede, whilst debossing can be a bit too subdued on plain boards. Worth investing in a debossing tool if you are going to be working with a lot of suedes.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I have a Valiani and have had success masking V Grooves (for colouring) with masking film - never tried on suedette board though.

Tape is a bit time consuming even if less extravagent, a thin board is more extravagent and a thin paper would just get dragged all over the place.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Nice demo vid Kev.

Will try the tape and also brushing the board with same board.