Thanks John

Share your CMC experiences.
Or seek help and advice
Roboframer

Thanks John

Post by Roboframer »

...... for your cove box designer.

I haven't worked out how to transfer it in to something my CMC can work from yet, in fact I'm so useless on computers, here's a screenshot - taken with my camera! All plotted manually from a print out of the cove box designer. I cut the 'V' cut-outs by hand.
004.JPG
The frame was for a mobile phone company who I'd done something for last week with a deep (5mm) wrapped bevel, they liked it but wanted the same but MUCH deeper and MUCH wider - a coved mount then!

Because it had to have a window mount as well I cut the top of the box in V grooves to make a flap to stick to the window mount.
010.JPG
It was done quickly, it's a sample, the light mount the SIM card sits on is just a piece of board dropped in, it's not even bevelled the right way.

Got a call today, they love it ..... but ..... can I make the card sit IN the board instead of on it but not with the sides coverd? Yep. Can I make it 'glossy'? - Yep - Melinex overlay. Can I make the frame the same navy blue as the cove mount? Yep - will get some samples together, some plain, some laquered.
They sell to 9 countries and want those country's flags, in the shape of their company logo, on the cove mount, just one per frame I think. So - nine frames then?

Er - no, nine frames per country - so 81 frames - have not worked out the cost yet but quoted £85 for this one, which they are happy with!
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Re: Thanks John

Post by John »

The program outputs a plt file that can be read directly by your Valiani, saving you the bother of entering the data manually. However the plt file will create the coved box without the flaps that you used in your design, so you would still have to do a bit of manual tweaking if you have your heart set on the flaps.

I'm sure Merlin or one of the other Valiani whiz kids will help you with the details of using the plt file, should you wish to go that route.

Nice job Robo!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I thought I'd better get my machine to cut the 'V's - especially as it's now 12 countries and 12 each!

So, still not having a clue how to convert this programme, I had a light bulb moment, went to 'shapes' found a triangle and altered it - rotated and placed as necc, and, still having no idea how to do a screen shot, I took this photo ..... of my screen.
010.JPG
I cut those triangles with a reverse bevel first, which of course when turned over is a normal bevel (the whole thing has to be cut face down to make the folds) That didn't work too good.......
009.JPG
So I selected the 90 degree head and that did......
013.JPG
So now I had a design with 3 different cuts and two different heads, I wondered what would happen if I wanted a load of these cut from a jumbo board - would I have to alter blade depth; change head for every single mount? Thought I'd try out just two from the same board - off it went cutting all the triangles with the 90 degree head, then all the V grooves and then all the outsides. I'll get fifteen mounts per sheet with two pauses, one to change heads and one to change blade depth.

This job alone covers the cost of my CMC - well, not really, it's not just the mounts, but you know what I mean - could not imagine taking 144 of these on with an Ultimat Gold and a craft knife!
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

Awesome job Robo well done.

How I do a screengrab if you are interested:

Press the "print screen" button on my keyboard with screen in view (immediately to the right of F12).

Open up my photo editing software (my case photoshop).

Open new blank file (mine automatically makes it the same size as the screengrab in pixels, somehow and usefully).

Press ctrl+v together to paste it into that space (the shortcut for pasting generally).

I can then move it around. Can also crop off the bits I don't want to show.

I then save it as a compressed JPEG if I want to upload it anywhere. This makes the file size nice and small but does deteriorate the quality - choose the right level of compression for the use.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Hee hee, I can do it!

Thanks!
screenshot.png
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

...and if you hold down the Ctrl key when you hit the Print Screen you will copy the active window rather than the entire screen.