Merging Duplicate Customers?

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
Jo
Organisation: The Frame Game
Interests: Would like to have some if I wasn't at work all the time!

Merging Duplicate Customers?

Post by Jo »

Hello,
Is there a way to merge the customers I have accidentally put in twice?
Thanks,
Jo
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Merging Duplicate Customers?

Post by JohnMcafee »

THE SMALL PRINT
EstLite has a bunch of additional features, they are hidden from view because of their potential to cause damage to your data. Please understand that these features are undocumented and unsupported - use them at your own risk.

Before going any further, backup your data and note where the backup zip file is stored. That way you will be able to recover if things go completely pear shaped.

Access the Duplicate Customer Removal Tool in the History screen via the Alt-Z keyboard shortcut and locate the duplicates by clicking the Find Next Duplicate button. Once you get the hang of it you will quickly locate and eradicate all of those pesky duplicates.

This may be enough to get you going, but not withstanding the small print above, let me know if you need more help and I'll try to add more detail.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Jo
Organisation: The Frame Game
Interests: Would like to have some if I wasn't at work all the time!

Post by Jo »

Ah thanks! Will try it. I had a feeling I had seen something previously but just couldn't find it...

Yes, worked nicely, able to remove a few duplicates. But when the same number comes up under Croft and Cross, it's hard to know which was wrong!!
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

If all the results seem valid, I keep the customer record with the most detail and merge all of the jobs into that. For example, I'd keep the record with a full name, address, and email, and merge the jobs belonging to customers with just a phone number into that.

OMG, you may have started something Jo. Now I'm going to have see if it would make sense to combine all of the data in a set of matching duplicate customer records rather than having to select the one customer record that all of the jobs are merged into.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)