BBEst - concerns about moulding widths

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

BBEst - concerns about moulding widths

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,
is it good practice to go through any mouldings you have loaded into your system and validate the moulding width for every one ? I'm thinking it is, please see this example below.

Moulding 1002/24 from Simons is specified as having a width of 17.22cm, even though it's true width was 5.5cm, it's description is "55mm Antique Gold Spoon".

I was putting a quote together for a frame, 39.5cm x 42cm, the frame alone came in at £118.20 ( I have set a 325% markup on all mouldings ). After I investigated I spotted the width was wrong and changed it to 5.5cm, the price was now £83.20, a difference of £35 ??

I'm puzzled as to why the width is incorrect when supplied to BBEst by Simons ? I no longer use my PFP system but I can see the width for 1002/24 is correct at 5.5cm, very strange.

I think I do need go through and update individual widths but what happens when I refresh the prices, would all my widths be over written as well ? I am going to upgrade shortly to Estlite, does this behave differently ?

thanks,
B'Puss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Re: BBEst - concerns about moulding widths

Post by John »

It is a very good idea to verify that the moulding widths used by the program are correct. If the widths have been omitted from the supplier's list, the program will make a stab at filling in the missing information. It does this by combining the data that you have entered in the Options/Mouldings screen with the moulding price to come up with a reasonable estimate of what the width should be. This works fine for the majority of mouldings which generally follow the pattern of narrow=inexpensive / wide=expensive.

There can be two reasons why the missing width may be incorrectly calculated, either the profile does not conform to the usual price to width ratio, or else the figures entered into the Options/Mouldings screen are nonsense.

Widths in your table of stocked mouldings are unaffected when you update with a supplier's list that has omitted widths, and overwritten if widths are included.