Help to mount an oil painting

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Lee the framer
Organisation: Wilson’s
Interests: Walking, cycling, framing, football, f1

Help to mount an oil painting

Post by Lee the framer »

Hi, I’ve had a request to frame an oil on paper painting, the main issue is the artist has raised features on the painting that are up to approx 5-6mm from the surface of the paper, and these raised parts are at the very edge of the painting aswell.

I’ve never had to secure a painting onto a backboard of any type, I’ve mainly done photos and prints, with this painting costing £600, I’m nervous about causing damage.

What products and techniques would be recommended to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Help to mount an oil painting

Post by JFeig »

The first rule of a professional picture framer is not to experiment on a clients work.
With that said, I think that you could mount that painting onto a smaller piece of rag mount board with hinges and then mount the, 2 layer package, to a backing board.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I would use the Hedgehog technique for this.
https://www.lionpic.co.uk/content/infos ... y-2019.pdf
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Agreed! The hedgehog technique is a no brainer. it quick and easy and only uses one layer of mountboard, cost efective too.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

If you're nervous about causing damage then take your time, don't use any self adhesive tapes, make sure they're white acid free gummed tapes or better. Get some powder free nitrile gloves to wear. As well as protecting the work, I find that they're a good reminder that I'm dealing with a valuable piece!
Practice the hedgehog a few times on a small practice piece. You'll need a roll of polyproplene film to cut small strips from. Once you get the hang of it, it'll be your go-to floating technique!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Yes that's true and it never fails to impress the customers as well. I use the hedge hog technique quite a lot and it works well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Yup.
Justin George GCF(APF)
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Post by fitz »

Obviously no glass on this framing project so it very much depends on the quality of the paper upon which the oil paint has been applied. How flat is the finished painting? I’m not quite seeing how the hedgehog method will work where there will be no mount or backing mount showing?. You can’t have board exposed when no glass is involved? Seems to me to be a case where a slip would be of use to make sure the raised elements of the applied paint remain below the frame moulding. I would consider wheat starch hinging the paper onto a conservation board and build the frame around this.
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Why obviously no glass Fitz? It may be an oil but it's on paper which would require glass imo. By hedgehog/floating on board with space between the work and the frame those raised painted edges won't be in contact with anything so will remain undamaged. He'll need spacers to keep it away from the glass.
I'm really confused by your reply, can you elaborate?
Justin George GCF(APF)
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Post by fitz »

I was thinking that with oil paint it would be best without glass dependant on the quality of the paper it’s been painted on. Often oil paintings are not best displayed or viewed behind glass as something can be lost in the texture etc of the finished painting. However I bow to better experience and knowledge. I personally have never framed an oil painting behind glass in my long 4 years of professional framing.😬
Not your average framer

If it is being float mounted using the hedge hog method, it would make sense to glaze it with glass to keep the mountboard from becoming grubby.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Lee the framer
Organisation: Wilson’s
Interests: Walking, cycling, framing, football, f1

Post by Lee the framer »

Thank you for all your replies, I will go with the hedgehog method, and the client asked for it to be glazed, so will do as asked and glaze it with spacers to keep the painting away from glass. Looking forward to learning this new technique.
If the very edges of the painting are not perfectly flat, what’s the best way to flatten out? I’m nervous about all the raised painted bits if I use weights on top of a board or something.