Get help and framing advice from the framing community
thecreative
Organisation: The Creative Art Company
Interests: art
photography
renovation

Cheapest option to mount 360gms inkjet canvas to mdf/acm

Post by thecreative »

Hi again, I'm an artist & I've posted similar before but things have progressed so I'm looking at help and advice for other options.

I'm currently bonding 360gms inkjet canvas to acm panels using ph free PVA (yes it does bond well & flat if the rear is roughed up)
I was using mdf but that was bowing too much. Once mounted I'm painting onto the canvas with various materials before sealing with
a matte medium & framing without glass.

This works fine as I'm heavily working the canvas but its too messy a process for just prints or to offer delicately embellished pieces.

Question is, is there a clean, cost-effective way of mounting the canvas to mdf or acm that would be worth me investing in some
secondhand kit (what would that kit be?) or would cost be silly?

Alternatively what would be a reasonable price for a 400mm x 500mm canvas to be mounted onto my own substrate by a framer?

Finally, would it be possible to mount the canvas after painting if it was taped to a board for painting? this often leaves it slightly
out of shape, could that be rollered out ? This would allow me to paint the piece of a loose canvas then only go to the mount stage
if it turned out good enough to offer for sale.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: Cheapest option to mount 360gms inkjet canvas to mdf/acm

Post by vintage frames »

Here's what you could do.
First, I'd move from using mdf or acm and go onto using plywood. !/8" ply would even be enough if you 'cradle' it.
Go onto Ashcraft Framing web's site and see his artists cradled panels.
He knows about these sorts of things.

To bond the canvas onto the panel, use a simple domestic vacuum storage bag.

To do this get a piece of melamine faced chipboard, as used to make kitchen cabinets and an equal sized sheet of silicone release paper.
Spread slightly diluted PVA wood glue over the panel with a mini paint roller.
Lay the canvas onto the wet panel and smooth out any ripples.

Now turn it over onto the melamine board onto which you have already placed the release paper.
Put the whole thing into the vacuum bag, seal it up and suck out the air with a Henry or other strong vacuum cleaner.

I'd leave it in there overnight.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
thecreative
Organisation: The Creative Art Company
Interests: art
photography
renovation

Post by thecreative »

Thanks, the mdf warps too much and I need the acm as the frames I have only have a shallow recess and no option to cradle panels.

Not sure this will be any less messy than the process im already using? Are you advising that using the vac bag it will provide a stronger bond than my current roller efforts?

Can the canvas be oversize on the acm and trimmed afterwards or does it need to be dead size?

Thanks again.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The plywood suggestion makes a lot of sense and it is probably worth checking out suppliers who supply plywood for boat building. It's quite a long time since I was involved in designing things produced from thin plywood, hopefully my information still holds true. At the time, there was a readily available supply of conveniently priced 4mm plywood and it might be worth checking out the prices and availability, to see if it makes sense for you.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Hi thecreative.

Because the thread has suffered an unwanted interruption by the last post, I have moved my reply to a new topic - Mounting canvas to a Board.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would avoid Plywood. It can warp and also delaminate. And if (when) it does if is practically
impossible to correct. MDF is better - as long as it doesn't get wet. Sealing the back with a varnish will
help with any possible bowing.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

4mm marine ply is far less prone to delaminating and produces very clean cut edges, because each layer of ply is bonded with a very strong waterproof glue. A company which I used to work for got standard sized pieces of marine ply die stamped to the sizes requires for assembling transist equipment cases, so thin marine ply can be cleanly cut by die stamping or guillotining to size, which might be helpful to know for volume production. It works best to preheat the plywood before die stamping, or guillotine cutting to get the cleanest edges.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer