Table covers??

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
sydframer
Organisation: BSMT
Interests: Framing
Art Conservation

Table covers??

Post by sydframer »

Just intrigued to know what people are using to cover their workbenches?...

Currently I just have a bit of felt across a table (this is a terrible system btw lol), but previously have used carpet tiles. Also saw someone recently who looked like they were using blotting paper??? Anyone have any preferences?
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: Table covers??

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I have 2 different surfaces on 2 benches.

1) Cut pile carpet tiles (never loop pile, it traps all the bits) - this bench is for assembly

2) Framers Grey board, coated with Polyvine decorators varnish, this protects the plywood bench surface, and needs replacing every 12-18 months
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

I used grey board for slip sheets on my CMC; they went from there to cover most of my 12x6’ island bench, I only had to really replace one regularly which we cut things on, the rest were taped together.

We’d also use glass interleaving paper for a constantly clean surface. All disposable stuff.

On one side we had a sheet of MDF painted black and covered with staggered lines of plastic domed bumpers, great for glass cleaning and final fitting. We had another one under the bench for larger pieces.
Also had on old bedspread to cover the whole bench when needed for certain things.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Flotex flooring, even offcuts are expensive, but worth every penny imo.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I use 6x4' sheets of MDF which are exactly the same size as my 'mucky' bench. This is the bench I do all the frame-making
and frame finishing. A sheet lasts about a year before it gets totally gunked up and then I flip it over. For slight less mucky
work I have an oilskin tablecloth which I put over. I also have a roll of conservatory carpet (£3 from LDL) if I want a soft surface.

In the other room where I do all the assembly the benches are covered with Flotex carpet which is absolutely the best stuff to use.
It's not cheap but pays dividends. It doesn't shed hairs and is easy to keep clean. I got a huge roll-end off the interweb for half-price. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

I use the self healing mats on my workbench and then use a roll of the soft laminate floor underlay for glass cleaning and final assembly which I remove once finished.
whitbyframer
Organisation: Whitby Picture Framing
Interests: Walking when my back allows me, photography, travel, cars, gaming on the PC

Post by whitbyframer »

My glass cutting bench has carpet tiles on it. The rest of my benches have a soft durable grey padded material on them that my wife picked up in our local department store. My mother-in-law used to use the same stuff to protect her glass dining table. It's great as it doesn't give off any fluff but is nice and soft when customers work is put on it.