An already mounted photo into larger frame?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
ArtFramer87
Organisation: ArtFramers
Interests: Photography, Framing, Printing

An already mounted photo into larger frame?

Post by ArtFramer87 »

Hello,

I was given a 100x100 cm (40x40 inch) photo already mounted on 5mm board (dibond).
Customer wants to have this framed but with a 10cm/4 inch mat, which would make the internal frame 120x120cm. This would look very nice and I can make the mat no problem.

But how is this usually put together? Do I cut a 100x100 hole into a 120x120 5mm board for the photo to sit in or cut four 10cm board strips of 5mm thick to sit outside the 100x100 photo to make everything level for the mat to sit on, but all these pieces would then need to be glued onto another single 120x120 backing board so the whole thing stays centered/together for framing?

Would a 120x120cm foam board be good for this (say, 3-5mm thick)? Can't imagine glueing the whole thing in the center of a larger mdf?

Wonder how people place already mounted art into a larger frame with mat. Thanks for any ideas!
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: An already mounted photo into larger frame?

Post by JFeig »

From a mechanical standpoint, you should mount the 100 x 100 cm premounted art onto a new sheet of stock that will give full support to the art and the mat border going around it.
An alternative might be to surround the mounted art with a wood liner and then add the new frame.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

You need to sink mount it.

That can be done by cutting an aperture out of board thick enough, usually foam board, but you can also just use strips that you’d normally toss.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
ArtFramer87
Organisation: ArtFramers
Interests: Photography, Framing, Printing

Post by ArtFramer87 »

Thanks everyone, sink mounting is probably my way to go.

Just out of interest, when framing very large prints with a wide mat (say 5 inch), would your preferred way be to mount the art in the middle of board, say dibond, that covers the entire frame (leaving a large empty surround for the mat), or is using strips more commonly done? Strips would be more work but wouldn't require a huge mounting board, since the mat alone would add 10 inches wxh.
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

If it needed dry mounting I’d mount it centrally on to board cut to the glass size, unless that size was too big for my equipment.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.