Glass on both sides - advice please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Glass on both sides - advice please

Post by CalicoFraming »

Hi all
I have to frame a small jigsaw and the customer wants to see both sides, so glass front and back. Is there a recommended way to construct a double-sided frame like this?
Thanks!
:D
Roboframer

Re: Glass on both sides - advice please

Post by Roboframer »

You could ...........

Cut a mount with the aperture juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust larger than the puzzle - and 90 degree bevel - not that 90 degrees IS a bevel, but you now what I mean.

The mount would need to be the same thickness as the piece so may need to be built up unless 4 or 8 ply is the right thckness, it could be thinner than 4 ply of course.

Slide the puzzle on to a piece of acrylic already cut to size - Abrasion Resistant would be best and then place your mount, cut to the same size as the acrylic, over it and slide it in to place. Glue the mount to the acrylic then glue another piece of (AR) acrylic on to the top of the mount.

That's it mounted - this acrylic is not the final glazing, well, on the back it will be, but not the front because you've smothered it in glue and that doesn't look nice!

Now just cut a normal mount to juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust conceal the sink mount - and you can glue that in place too, then glass as normal over that. The back can be something like artbak/corricor with a window cut out - again to juuuuuust conceal the back of the sink mount.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Yet another Roboframer tip I'm adding to my library.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Is there another picture on the back then? Must have been a pita to put together. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I'd be interested in seeing pics if you manage to get this sorted, sounds interesting to say the least :)
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Last double sided job I did used a deep rebate black moulding and at the back I used a black paper covered fillet (Simons SLIP range) which I pinned into the moulding with veneer pins. Used a nail punch to bury the heads and a blob of black paint to disguise the small holes.
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Post by CalicoFraming »

J2M, did you have any issues when pinning the slip into the frame? I'm a bit anxious about having to pin it whilst the glass/art sandwich is in situ - one misplaced pin and I'm in trouble. Grateful for any tips.

Thanks also Robo, great advice as always

: )
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

No issues at all really but I did protect the glass with a bit of scrap mount board while I tapped the pins in.

Sometimes with these sort of jobs I find myself making it up as I go along often having put them off. The job was for a titled lady and she seemed very happy.