Framing a large map

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ray
Organisation: raygreenphotography.co.uk
Interests: photography, fell running, squash

Framing a large map

Post by Ray »

I have got 2 large Ordinance Survey maps to frame (approx 900mm square). Anybody have any thoughts on framing large items like these.

Ideally I think they would look better without a mount (even though they are too large for that anyway). I have thought of using 2 sheets of Perspex/acrylic without a frame clamped with posts (or a piece of ply or hardboard at the rear).

If anybody has other ingenious ideas of methods they have used that have worked well I would be interested in sharing your knowledge. Thanks.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Framing a large map

Post by IFGL »

I usually stick them down to some extra large self adhesive board (did one on Tuesday) this is not for the faint hearted though, they are very thin, and easy to knacker, I prefer using our jetmounter but ours isn't big enough for these.

Then usually a natural oak frame.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

If you do stick them to sticky board, start in the middle, doing one side at a time, because if your going to run into trouble, it'll be after the middle fold :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

Are they new and are they replaceable?

Are they folded?

You could just put the things straight in a frame. Glass/Plexi right on top. It's not a hanging offence. :P The map will show the creases and get more wavy still, but if the customer isn't bothered.....

It they want it dead flat then you have to stick it down. I wouldn't attempt this with a folded map. The paper will have become distorted and you will end up with a a few creases. I think I am right in saying you can buy OS maps rolled up. You may even be able to buy them ready mounted on board. If this is an option I would much sooner take that route than try and faff around with a folded one. Once mounted you then have the option of using spacers under the glazing.

If they are in any way special or 'valuable', don't stick them down. You would have to treat them the same as any irreplaceable document.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

If they are recently printed ones and you go the route of sticking down don't use any process involving heat as the ink will be affected. There is a warning about this on the OS website and I believe it is sent out as a printed version with the maps.

There has been previous discussion here on this subject. A search should bring up some results.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

We've recently done a few of these, most we do as per ifgl and bond them to yellow sticky stuff with a hand roller and then frame as normal. We also cold pressed one to mdf (block mounted and laminated) using a friend's large jetmounter
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thank you. The two I have are rolled and are personally printed for the individual and choice of central location on the map. So they are sort of replaceable but wouldn't want to have to tell the customer 'I've ruined them, can you order another and I'll have a 2nd go'. Will have a search too.

Anyone with experience of framing between acrylic?
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

They are only £16.99 a pop.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I know....... I just don't like making cock ups!
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i did one couple of weeks ago, and did cock it up so just bought new one,client over the moon, loved the job, orders a bunch of other stuff, so the 15 euros was worth it
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

As mentioned above - definately do not let anyone heat press it for you - these custom maps are dye sub printed & the ink will "blur" - real "progess" ther from the OS - when their old personal maps WERE heat stable. The next thing you know they will be grounding concorde & we won't able to fly at twice the speed of sound anymore!!!

Depending on your location & willingness to travel I could point you in the direction of someone with a cold roller in your area.

What do you mean they have already grounded concorde??? :Slap:
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
Ray

Post by Ray »

I'm in the Wessex area of Manchester Steve. Oldham to be more precise. Greenfield to be even more precise.

I also saw a video of someone coating posters in varnish with a roller. Would this work on a map to give more of a sheen or would it affect the ink. Would this help with protecting it if the map was touching the glass/Perspex?
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

I did a 36" x 48" map recently using 3mm acrylic and no mount - looked great and customer really happy.
Steve Goodall
Organisation: Wessex Pictures Group
Interests: Gothic Punk / Man City / Photography...

Post by Steve Goodall »

ah - yes it does say Oldham on the right hand side (doh) :Slap:

By roller I mean a laminator of course - not a painting roller - which you may use for varnishing.

I will pm you with three companies within a few miles of Sunny Greenfield that could tackle the job.

You do need to let them know you are "trade" & coming to them for oversized work - with the likelyhood of putting more business their way in the future - to ensure a good "trade price".

Back to the coating - yes a laminator could also be used to put a "finish" on the map - but once "stuck down" it might be nicer to use more conventional methods - other than sandwiching.

PM on the way...
Your too late I'm afraid - I retired in April 2024 :sun:
nickhood
Organisation: Hook Framing
Interests: Gardening.local history

Post by nickhood »

Funny enough i have just completed one. Its an ordinance survey map but a copy so no creases. No mount, simple Black frame. I suggested perspex because of weight but customer wanted glass so quite heavy, but frame big enough to support weight of glass. I have suggested a very strong fixing to wall to customer and used heave duty fixing and cord 10 times breaking strain weight of finished item. Good luck
Nick