Dry Mounting an inkjet print

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
bilalshreif
Organisation: Lollipopart
Interests: Framing, Conservation framing, fine art reproduction , fine art printing

Dry Mounting an inkjet print

Post by bilalshreif »

Hello!
I have another discussion that i need to share with all of you, since my previous topic " Urgent solution needed" didn't have an solution that worked for me, I'm am now trying a different approach and need your help.
Though it has been asked multiple times on many forums , but none has given a good and definite answer. Cold mounting any digital inkjet artwork using a cold laminator and a double adhesive doesn't work pretty good on difficult substrates. Sometimes i am have troubles with customers bringing back artworks mounted 2 mm solid aluminum board, with edges pulling out and sometimes all of the print pulling out. I used Drytac Mediatac as an alternative and still had the same problem.
I am thinking about using a hot press to have a permanent adhesion and get over with this problem. Of course hot press on high temperatures will evaporate the ink in an inkjet print. I need to ask those who already used this method in inkjet prints and those who have a permanent solution ( Besides spray adhesive cause its too messy ) please share it with me. Incase of dry mount in hot press what will be the ultimate solution ( Hot press used, adhesives etc..) and a cold lamination how do you do it to get a permanent adhesion. thanks!
I have attached a picture of the aluminum board i use and which which i mainly have a problem.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (408.2 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Re: Dry Mounting an inkjet print

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Start by wiping down with IPA - sometimes needs to be done twice, if the grease (or gunk from the protective film) is stubborn. Then apply facemount adhesive to the substrate. Let this cure for at least five minutes - can help if it is face down - the adhesive likes moderate temperature and pressure.
Wipe down back of print with tac cloth, and run through the rollers. If paranoid, leave face down on smooth surface (with tissue to protect the print surface.
If workshop is cold, then prewarm the aluminium to around 20 degrees using hoptpress, then coat with facemount.
The temperature for heat activation in a hotpress may cause subtly changes to colour on Epson prints, though I've not seen this. Mounting RC prints to Aluminium / Dibond in the HotPress is likely to be a slow process - if you don't start the vacuum cold, then there is a strong chance that you'll seal an air bubble in the middle of the print.
One other use for our HGP360 (also from HotPress) is to flatten curly paper, and drive out moisture - half an hour at a low heat, and max pressure does a wonderful ironing job. Then the print goes under a cold flat weight to finish.
We've run thousands of inkjet (and c-type and bromide) through our HotPress JetMount JM44 and have not had any problem with adhesion, using facemount.
bilalshreif
Interests: Framing, Conservation framing, fine art reproduction , fine art printing

Post by bilalshreif »

thx Richard.
I forgot to mention that the print is pulling off the double adhesive not the double adhesive from the aluminum.
In other words the double adhesive is always stuck on aluminum but the not on the print.
also do u mean the drytac face mount? or the dry mounting double adhesive?
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

So the print is coming off the adhesive? What type of paper is the print on? If RC prints, then the back of the print might also benefit from a quick wipe with IPA. Once the print is mounted, allowing it to sit face down overnight won't hurt - should give the adhesive long enough to get to grips with the paper.

And yes, Drytac facemount adhesive http://www.drytac.com/mounting-adhesives/facemount.html.
bilalshreif

Post by bilalshreif »

I used RC papers in one job and i used 4 types of double adhesive and spray mount 3 M and all was coming off.
Also i use mostly Innova digital paper and hahnemuhle paper, all fiber based papers