Mount cutter recommendations please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
southwestframers
Organisation: Picture Framing Tuition.uk
Interests: Surfing, swimming, music, family, house restoration, smiling

Mount cutter recommendations please

Post by southwestframers »

Hi all. We are new forum users and fairly new to the industry...a couple of months ago we bought a framing business off a couple that wanted to retire. They trained us with their equipment and using their techniques, some of which seem to be fairly outdated.

We are currently using a Fletcher mount cutter with a moveable cutting arm on a backboard. Having issues as follows: over and undercuts, wonky down cut in first 2-3 cm, not getting offcuts square using steel edge ruler and stanley before mount cutting! :(

We cut single, double and multi mounts (did a 12 apperture yesterday) but are having to throw lots of mounts away because they're wobbly or the mount board wasn't square in the first place. This is making us very slow. Having identified mount cutting as our biggest problem we want to upgrade our mount cutter, the sooner the better, but don't know what to go for. We are cutting A0 mountboard and want something that can cut mountboard down to size as well as bevel cut. If we could cut backboard as well that would be great.

We would really appreciate some advise on what mount cutter to buy. Digital seems unnecessary, so I guess we're looking at a good quality professional hand cutter. Thank you.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Mount cutter recommendations please

Post by pramsay13 »

Keencut Ultimat Gold is what I use but I haven't used anything else so can't compare.
It can do everything you talk about with ease.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not everything and definitely not as well as a separate dedicated machine.

Manual mount cutters are best at cutting apertures in boards; not cutting boards to size first/as well as, especially larger sizes. They have 'squaring arms' but trust me, especially over larger sizes, you'd be lucky!

You'd be best, in addition to a professional manual mount cutter, such as the Keencut Futura or the Fletcher-Terry equivalent, with a bench-end guillotine and/or even better still, with a wall mounted cutter like the Keencut Excalibur that cuts glass as well as all the boards you'll need on the same stops - everything that goes in the frame cut on the same machine to the exact same size, no argument!

A Computerised Mount Cutter gives anal precision - I really wish it would cut glass and backing as well!

Don't dismiss a CMC, don't think "How will I recover the cost of this beast"? - that's just talking yourself out of one before you start. Think more along the lines of an extremely skilled, dedicated employee (You'll never EVER find one that can do what a CMC can do, and even if you could, never as fast) that you have to pay a year's salary up front but never again!

Welcome to the forum!
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Welcome to the forum southwestframers
If you are cutting a lot of mounts, single, double multi windows, and you don't want to commit to a CMC, the next step up from a manual mount cutter is one of these, http://www.valiani.com/manual_detail.php?ID=5 and they don't take up much floor room, have a look at the videos (about the 3rd group down) you can get an edge trimmer, plus circle / oval cutter, which you can also cut the glass with.
Ask your suppliers. if they know of any second/ third hand one for sell, also ask your reps, they normally are the first to know if somebody is up grading and have one for sale
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Welcome to the forum Southwestframers.

Where in the South West are you.
That would be a help to start with.
John GCF
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hello Southwestframers & welcome to the forum,

Before you rush off to spend your hard earning money, I would urge you to discover why your Fletcher mount cutter is not producing the right results. First of all, are you using the mountcutter on a dead flat surface? Even if you go and buy a brand new mountcutter tomorrow, you could still be facing problems.

If the work surface for the mountcutter is not flat and as a result the base board of the mountcutter twists slightly, then the cutting bar on the mountcutter may not be clamping the mountboard fully along it's whole length, which will allow the mountboard to move a little at the start of each cut. Or is there any excessive play, or detremental movement between the cutting head and the cutting bar on which it slides.

If either of these problems are detected, then I would suggest that the solution should be far less drastic than buying a new mountcutter.

In the case of an out of flat working surface, a little bit of packing under one corner of the mountcutter so that both ends of the mountcutter are in the same horizontal alignment, may prove to be the solution.

Or in the case of unwanted movement between the cutting head and the cutting bar, the solution may be a matter of some adjustment to correct this, or ordering and fitting replacement parts.

I don't know the Fletcher well enogh to know if there are any adjustment to compensate for wear resulting in unwanted cutting head movement, but there will be someone who uses a Fletcher who will know more about this.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Quote Roboframer "A Computerised Mount Cutter gives anal precision - I really wish it would cut glass and backing as well! "

You can with even a basic trucut. (with appropriate glass cutting upgrade) :D :D
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i cut mount and back on my gunnar all the time

i guess its not quite the most efficient use of materials but saves me tons of time
Elite
Organisation: Elite Medals & Framing
Interests: Military medals & history, Framing (of course),Rifle shooting (F Class competition).

Post by Elite »

:D Welcome to the FF.....lots of great info and laughs to be had here.

Are you able to visit other framers and get some advise and guidance in person? Even if it is just to see the difference in workings between a manual mat cutter and a Computerised Mat Cutter...????

As this is your primary business and I would assume income, I would suggest IMHO buying or renting a CMC..........I know its a big outlay, but the time saved, the material saved and the possibilities in design are endless.
Good luck and I hope all goes well with your venture.
:SD
:rain: 16C
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Merlin wrote:Where in the South West are you
Sez "Cornwall" in the profile - not a very big place, but google can narrow it down

Agar House
Agar Way
Redruth
Cornwall
TR15 3SF
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Thanks Robo

I was really trying to get more information from the OP.

:xcomputer:
John GCF
RChanter
Organisation: Photoscene
Interests: Mountain Biking

Post by RChanter »

I spent the last 3 and a half years using a keencut laser that had many of the same issues as you are having, was constantly adjusting the thing to try and get more satisfactory results. Unfortunately part of it snapped last week and I had to bite the bullet and buy a keencut ultimat futura. Completely different scenario now, it is a pleasure to use.

I personally use a bench end guillotine for cutting to size, but as far as the actual mount cutting goes the futura is fantastic.