Help with mount cutter

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Linden
Organisation: Linden Hopwood Artist
Interests: Oil painting, portraiture, still-life & landscape. Golf.

Help with mount cutter

Post by Linden »

Newbie here!

I'm not intending getting into framing at all (don't have the time or space) but as a semi-professional artist, I am going to be making mounts for prints of some of my artwork. I'm primarily a portrait painter, but occasionally paint still-life and landscape stuff.

Recently, just for fun, I painted a small example of a jelly baby (bear with me, it's serious stuff). I was approached by a client who'd seen it and wanted me to paint six jelly babies (one of each flavour) in oils, each on it's own canvas. Business is business, and a commission to paint is always welcome, so that's what I did.

Anyhow, since then, I've had enquiries about whether I would do prints of them.... again, business is business, so I've produced some prints to order - some on canvas bonded to panels, others on fine art paper. All quality materials, archival pigments, Hahnemühle papers, etc.... scanned, colour matched and printed by myself on a large format Epson... so they're as good as they can possibly get, and, as the artist, they obviously have to be 'right'.

Although each colour of jelly baby print is a limited run of 50, I don't have the storage space or time to blitz through 50 of each flavour (plus another 50 of a set of six) and as there are different size options within each limited run, I can't predict which size will be the better seller.

I've been buying double mounts locally for the paper prints, some 11x14 with 7x9 aperture, others 6x8 with a 4.2x5.4 opening. It's a 50 mile round trip to the nearest frame shop, so it's adding to the cost and taking time just to get half-a-dozen mounts every week. It also adds to the time it takes for me to ship them out.

That's why I'm here.... trying to gain knowledge, and seriously going to make my own mounts. A mount cutter is the problem... I've bought the mountboard, hinging tape, etc.... cutter is the hold-up.

I want a reasonable quality cutter, but couldn't justify the expenditure on a Keencut. I'd prefer to have a used one, rather than brand new, but the problem is that most ebay sellers of used mountcutters won't ship and are 'pickup only'... which is fine if you're local enough, but frustrating if you're in the wilds of Aberdeenshire!

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Frameco 860b, or similar... not too sure about the Logan range, but looked at the 350 and 450

I had thought about placing an ad in the wanted section, but felt I ask for suggestions first.
chrislongridge
Organisation: Longridge Mount Cutters
Interests: Walking, woodwork, photography

Re: Help with mount cutter

Post by chrislongridge »

Hello,
If it of any help we design and manufacture mount cutters in the UK, especially designed for artists and photographers. Log onto our website for info - www.longridge.co.uk - or do give me a call to discuss, 07752 929 363. We are nice people and do answer the phone !
Kind regards, Chris Longridge
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

It probably depends on your budget. I use a Keencut Ultimat Gold which gives great results. You can pick one up for a few hundred.
Have a look at the people that are selling up everything and see what they have available.
Claim to Frame
Organisation: N/a
Interests: Framing

Post by Claim to Frame »

I used to use a Logan 350-1 to mount up my own memorabilia and it was more than up to the job.

Friends then asked me to cut them mounts for memorabilia/family photos etc and I have managed to make a small business out of it, so I have recently upgraded to the Keencut for time savings.

I therefore have a 350-1 for sale, its in good condition, had it for perhap 8/9 months. Would come with a supply of blades as well which are now surplus to requirements for me. Would be looking for £70 plus the postage/courier costs.

Let me know if its something you would consider, and I can send photos.

Dan :)
Sam Cook
Organisation: Framers Corner
Interests: .

Post by Sam Cook »

Hi Linden
Welcome to the Forum!
We sell the Logan range of mountcutters, and our most popular models for your kind of work are either the 350-1 or 450-1. The main differences between them primarily are the size, (32" for the 350, and 40" for the 450) and the straight cutter on the 450 attaches to the rail. If you are looking for a second hand one then this one seems to be a good deal, blades are widely available from a number of suppliers, and Logan have good documentation and videos etc on how to use their kit (and you can always ask for help on here too of course!).
Sam
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

What is your budget? It might be easier for you to hire a professional to do it - you may get a great deal if you're willing to put regular work their way.