Linen Backed Art Deco Print

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Dean Casson
Organisation: CASSONS framing
Interests: painting, family, football, squash

Linen Backed Art Deco Print

Post by Dean Casson »

Hello all,

I have a new customer who has brought in an oversize linen backed 1930’s poster (2m x1.3m). I have looked up previous threads here and also on the grumble but just want to confirm I am taking the right approach.

The proposal is to custom make a 32mm profile stretcher frame with 3 cross braces and stretch the poster/linen (as per a normal canvas) secured with galvanised steel staples on the tack edge (fixings on sides only as there is not enough excess canvas edging to allow for full wrap to the back of the stretcher bar). I plan to protect the linen from contact with the wooden frame with frame sealing tape.

The customer wants to protect the poster with glazing so plan on using 100 UV Gallery perspex and frame it with a 25mm silver leaf fillet (to separate the perspex from the poster) and a deep (44mm) plain black wooden moulding. The Stretcher will be fixed to the outer frame using offset brackets and screwed together for strength and stability and hanging straps fitted to frame.

It's a bit of challenge size and pricing wise as I've not attempted anything this big before but I think I can handle it! However, any tips or advice to make sure the project goes smoothly and the artwork is adequately protected are most welcome.

I've quoted €900 Euro and we've negotiated to include delivery - have a feeling I'm a bit light here and should be into 4 figures really but it's a big threshold to cross!

Thanks

Dean
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Re: Linen Backed Art Deco Print

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

You should never undersell yourself. If you think it's a huge job that's going to cost a lot, you should charge accordingly. But that being said, if it's something that you've never done before, it's likely to be a bit of a learning curve for you, and therefore a valuable project not financially, but for your own personal and professional development. So it will still be worth it, and will give you a better idea of how much you need to charge in the future.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The whole thing is going to be very heavy. I would beef up the back frame so it forms all the strength of the piece. Face it with foamcore.
You'll have to be careful when stapling it. What you don't want to do is stretch it. Get it flat without applying tension.

This is my preferred method for making subframes....

That one is pine cladding with the 'tongue' side ripped off. It's thin so you can use two layers stuck together. That makes it stable and also allows you to easily form half-lap joints which are much stronger than mitres. Also you can form a neat pocket along the top rail for hanging cleats.

All this takes the strain off the outer frame which only serves to hold the glazing on the front.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Dean Casson
Organisation: CASSONS framing
Interests: painting, family, football, squash

Post by Dean Casson »

Thanks alot chaps.

Prospero - Great advice on the sub-frame strengthening and not stretching/using tension on it. I had planned on using T and L brackets at corner and brace points but a flat foam core sheet will do it more evenly I guess and probably easier too. Just so I'm clear - what thickness would you go for 5mm? and do you mean the 'foamex' board - the rigid pvc stuff or 'foam core' the lightweight, paper-faced foam stuff presume the former!? Also, would you lay the back of the linen directly onto the board surface ( presumably this is to support the artwork) or does it need some ph neutral covering (conservation mountboard perhaps) applying to it?

Kwik - Thanks for the encouragement. I've only been going since Christmas and it's a pretty steep learning curve. At the moment as every job I get seems to be something unusual (multi aperture, triple mounts, oversize jobs, box frames with angled cuts, cross stitch, restretching oil paintings, shadow boxes with 3D items). All great for expanding knowledge but it just takes a long time to make sure I'm doing it right. Background reading, checking and double checking all the while. Thankfully, I haven't messed anything up yet (well, that couldn't be put right again) and in fact everyone I've framed something for has been very pleased but know I'm on my toes all the time. As I get more experience, I'll get better and quicker and hopefully hit the pricing a bit more accurately but at the moment I probably need to take it on the chin...hopefully the cheap prices with encourage repeat customers! :D

Thanks again....
prospero

Post by prospero »

You might have a hard time finding a sheet of 5mm foamcore that size. But no reason not to use two pieces. If you use a few cross-braces on the back you can make it so the join goes over a brace.
As for conservation issues, what you really need is a big sheet of 2-ply ragboard. You may be able to source this size or it may be available in rolls.
A polyprop membrane underneath might not be a bad idea.
But all in all, it likely that the linen has more nasty things in it than foamcore. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About