Pricing Software For Mac

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Pricing Software For Mac

Post by IFGL »

chris, the driver has nothing to do with the firmware, the firmware decides things like how it should interpret the information on the chips, or how it should clean the heads and so on.
but whatever floats your boat.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I hate Microsoft and Apple equally with a passion :xcomputer:
I use Linux.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

do I smell a bit of Ubuntu?

I have built many a machine using this, and still do every now and again, it's similar in many ways to the apple os but without restriction, oh and of course free.
I did have one of the shops running it for a while, and had windows applications running through wine.

I very nealy buit a hackintosh at one point but decided it was not worth the £30 for the os as it would not recognise the on board raid.
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

Mainly Ubunutu.
I'm still running an 8 year old laptop with 80GB of hard drive and 2GB ram and it works better than most others I've seen that have many times that. The operating system uses only 2GB of space.
I haven't found anything I can't do just as well with linux, although my wife struggled with her Apple products as they try and lock everything down.
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

Sorry but you Guys sound as tho you need to get a job in IT rather than the Creative Industry. If your Wife finds the Mac stuff (locked down ) it makes me wonder what sort of job she does.I mean I have have chosen my computers to work with straight out of the box and have never needed to faff around with them to enable me to have an efficient workflow . Sounds to me as tho most Windoze users spend more time botching their machines than actually working
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

IT is a creative industry :lol:
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I learned a looong time ago that the wisest method of computer purchase is to look for the software that best suites your need and then find the machine that is best suited for your software decision.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

I did 30 years in IT. Can be very creative. I started as a programmer as I like making things. It was like making things electronically.

Always best to know what you want before you start looking but cost of acquisition and ownership has to be included as one of the requirements. Most large corporations use PC's because they are cheap and relatively easy to control and manage. Apple stuff is just soooooooo expensive but it does look pretty. That said since the demise of Blackberry, the hugely expensive iphones are finding themselves a place in mobile applications.

I have just bought a new PC. Beautiful colourful touch screen, heaps of storage and fired up and useable right out of the box. If there was a problem, it was making a choice, the options are huge and the competition keeps the prices down. To be honest, I would have quite happily have bought a big Android machine if one was available that would run a local version of Lightroom and had big local storage. Interestingly Wessex have an Android pricer available now. Limited function now but way to go.

As for Unix/Linux etc etc. Yah boo sucks to you. Open systems my foot. Killed many a good commercial product with the holy grail of open systems and write once and run on any hardware. Never happened.

Every dog has its day. I suspect both Microsoft and Apple have had their best days like IBM before them. Google are now the thought leaders and good luck to them. Just hope they tell the EU where to get off.

Written from my cheap Android tablet.
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

you are aware of course that the android os on your tablet is one of the many versions of Linux that are out there. unix is the base for many os like the mac os, xbox, linux, infact a very large proportion of everything out there.

but I agree the android market is growing rapidly.
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

And fragmenting even quicker.I would rather have my eggs in Apples basket rather than Googles thats for sure
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Yawn yawn bloody yawn

This apples are better than evrything else is getting a bit repetative.

Yes Chris we know you are an Mac sycophant :head: :head: :head:

And nothing else will do................

In Your honest unbiased proffessional opinion.

I think we have got the message you don't like windows or androids.........

I like windows...........

They let in light and thats not a bad thing when you are a picture framer. :giggle: :giggle:
AllFramed

Post by AllFramed »

In a way you make my point. No criticism of unix/linux/xxxxixux per set was intended. The great dream for Unix back in the day was to write once run anywhere. Proprietary systems (where the hardware and software were designed to work together) were dead. What we have ended up with is proprietary systems by another name. Otherwise I would prefer to run Android on my PC rather than Windows. MS Office would run on Android etc etc.

Typically what has happened in the story of technology is that the dominance gets challenged when they begin to take the market for granted. Nobody would have predicted the relative demise of IBM before the PC and Microsoft came along. Few would have predicted the demise of the PC before the mobile phone and Apple and Google got on the band wagon merging the technology and the internet fairly seamlessly.

Google are breaking new ground with Android and Google services in the Cloud. Microsoft now follow. However they are now trying to dictate terms with the future of mobile apps, almost certainly for their financial gain rather than the good of humanity. Who will be next with the great idea that undercuts them and is easier to use? There will be someone. That having been said, Google have taken technology to the masses all over the world as prices have tumbled and should probably be lauded for it, as did Microsoft in their early days.

As to putting my eggs in a basket, I will put some in Google's and some in Microsoft's and save some for what is appropriate at the time. Which probably means that I will continue to ignore the fur lined executive basket with the fruit logo.

Can't put it off anymore. Now to cut a nine hole mount by hand. When will Google do mount cutters?
AllFramed

Post by AllFramed »

Actually just occurred to me that it would be bad if Google did mount cutters, we would all be out of work!
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

ah I see what you are getting at, now it's time for me to make a start on these 300 mounts :( thankfully not cut by hand.
markw

Post by markw »

Its quite interesting reading the replies on this thread. It highlights to me that most of the techy nerds get obsessed by the machine and forget the function. I want a software that works well and looks good ( as we now get on most smartphone apps nowadays) What I hate are the sort of results you get from programmers who have no sense of design. Words like ubuntu - lockdown etc etc mean absolutely nothing to me - plug it in and enjoy is the principle I like.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

back to the original question, did you try any of the software Roboframer and myself found for you, and if so was it any good?
Kevlar
Organisation: Ani Evans Photography
Interests: Framing, Photography, Golf, Travel, Motorbikes etc

Post by Kevlar »

Ha, I got lost in all the techy talk (which I didn't understand :? ), I almost forgot my original question. In answer to your question IFGL, I have looked at the product descriptions and websites for the products you, Robo and Mike mentioned. Theres quite a difference between them all. I think I may well need to look at demo downloads come January, when I have a few moments available to play with them. I have seen a demo of Framiac and chatted with Mark Wilson and I hear other framers talking highly of it too, so its probably the preferred choice, but I will look at the three. Theres not much separating the initial year one costs of the various softwares, but Framiacs FrameR is the most expensive going forward, whereas Mikes is a nil cost after year one. Maybe Framiacs ongoing cost could be development of the software for Macs??? Are you seeing this Mark lol :lol: ?

Thanks for the help and suggestions though fellas, much appreciated
Kevlar
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

This makes it all much clearer

[youtube]kAG39jKi0lI[/youtube]
Kevlar
Organisation: Ani Evans Photography
Interests: Framing, Photography, Golf, Travel, Motorbikes etc

Post by Kevlar »

Quality sketch robo, love it.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

as regards windows emulation, they generally work fine, so fo instance if you wanted to design a complicated mount and not tie up the cmc pc, then you can do that on your mac, its only the connectivity issues the software should run ok, you can then save the mount in a shared folder and it is instantly available to cut on your cmc,
We have our cmc software on all our computers in both shops so any operator can design a mount and is the cut at the workshop, our printing works on a similar system with a central print server, the only major difference being my regular customers can upload their images directly themselves, from mac, pc or linux one even does it from his ipad.

p.s great sketch, made me laugh.