Pricing Software For Mac

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Kevlar
Organisation: Ani Evans Photography
Interests: Framing, Photography, Golf, Travel, Motorbikes etc

Pricing Software For Mac

Post by Kevlar »

Hi all, anyone know of framing pricing software that works on Macs? I'm not keen on running parallels on mac (no experience of whether this works effectively or not, hence the reluctance) in order to get software that is only designed for windows. I only seem to see software written for windows. Seeing some of the recent posts re frame pricing has reignited my interest in some software to assist and replace my current excel formula based system.

Thx
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Re: Pricing Software For Mac

Post by huntvambo »

You could try Mike Royall at Royall Framing

http://www.royallframing.co.uk/pricing-software.html
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

I am afraid we are out of luck. I did ask the Framiac guy several years ago about it but nothing ever happened. So its just for PCers
unfortunately as I would never let one of those things in here
chris62

Post by chris62 »

But there is one available for iPad which is lurking somewhere here on the forum
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

There's a spreadsheet made by Colin which could work on Mac.
http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11160
Kevlar
Organisation: Ani Evans Photography
Interests: Framing, Photography, Golf, Travel, Motorbikes etc

Post by Kevlar »

Thx for the feedback so far, I thought it might be the case, as I spoke with one of the companies too at the previous spring fair. I guess i want an all singing and dancing visual mac based programme, as I use these every day. Although I have to use a PC for the Gunnar, its not in the best location to show a customer pricing. I also want a package that creates invoices and worksheets too. Guess there's not going to be anything anytime soon.

In the meantime I will have to stick to my own developed excel spreadsheet which works reasonably well, but is a bit boring :thinking: I will have a look through the forum posts and may take a look at Mikes package, but from initial looks on the website its not got the "i want it now" factor. I could be doing Mike a disservice, apologies if I am, no offence meant. Guess we mac users are in the minority...wonder how easy it would be to develop a programme????

Anyway thx again
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Here's a list http://www.getthepictureframing.com/gfaq/software.htm I see one is web-based!
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

"as I would never let one of those things in here"

How strange. Always think apple stuff is so overpriced with the brand then sucking you in. Just got a shiny new PC, though admittedly not so keen on Windows 8. Works great for me at a fraction of the price. Loads of software available too.
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
chris62

Post by chris62 »

Overpriced ? hardly when you consider the amount of time not wasted on patching this downloading that checking for virus etc etc.
Sorry no thank you. I used to visit a friend in the 80s and 90s who did vinyl signs and always wondered why he did use such a thing
but after seeing that working I thought no we wont go there. I have four of them here all of them are working two of them from the 90s
none with anti virus stuff, if you just want to get on with photoshop or printing without any hassle,easy
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

time not wasted? both my macs have been skipped now because of imense amounts of time and money wasted, with the mac os not working with this and that, they ran the printer ok, although somewhat slowly but I had to buy a pc laptop to update the printer firmware as epson do not allow you to do it on a mac, follow that up with photoshop working better and faster on a pc, that comes from adobe not me, then you have a pretty looking waste of money, oh and I would run a virus scan if you haven't as macs do get them you have probably got a couple of key loggers running in the background.
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

I think 80's and 90's is the key - macs were far better then but now there's no competition in my book. Macs (albeit beautifully designed) are expensive and rely on exclusivity and planned obsolescence of software. Very powerful PC's and monitors can now be bought for less than macs and microsoft need not be involved anymore.
chris62

Post by chris62 »

Sorry no key loggers or virus's.
Still on CS3 and I use a RIP to print (the latest version!)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Might be an ide to get a dedicated PC/desktop/laptop as you have had to do for your CMC - at least until one of the better pricing softwares becomes mac-able? IMHO (in it is very humble) in UK it's either estlite or Framiac.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

we also use a rip, this has no effect on the firmware of your printer or the speed it will run.
chris62

Post by chris62 »

The firmware is in the printer I haven't touched the firmware since I bought it no need to whatsoever
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

one of the first firmware upgrades for our printer was to lower the amount of ink left in the cartridge when the printer had decided it was empty, I believe we got almost 10% more out of it, firmware updates can be very important.

But what you don't know can't hurt you right? so long as you dont think you are wasting money and time then it's ok
chris62

Post by chris62 »

The RIP does not use the epson driver. And I can see exactly what ink is in the cartridge
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Personally I would by the right software for the job and if that meant getting a pc then so be it. Better using software which accurately prices your work than using one that doesn't allow you to reach your full financial potential just beacuse you don't like a PC. Choosing the right framing software can make you thousands more in a year.

I know what I would do........
MarkScrivens
Organisation: MoonsDrift
Interests: Photography, Motorsport

Post by MarkScrivens »

Im with chris62, other than a small pc to run the CMC I would not have a pc 'on the bank'.
It is now 10 years years since I had a pc and they have been stress free years, no more hours
of dealing with viruses, updates and lock ups.

I do some consultancy work for a big Plc and have to use thier pc and system, most of my time
is spent on unproductive trivia, it will be quicker in the long run to use a Mac and do the pricing
with an abacus!

As you may have gathered, I am not a pc fan. :wink: