Canvas print with failed adhesive mount

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
TheUpstairsGallery
Organisation: The Upstairs Gallery
Interests: Painting, drawing, gardening, birdwatching, kayaking

Canvas print with failed adhesive mount

Post by TheUpstairsGallery »

I have a challenge. The print brought to me was mounted on firm substrate with an adhesive coating. It was exposed to high heat in the client's home and released from the board at the base and sides. It is warped and curled, the surface is crackled. It was expensive and the customer would like to at least be able to enjoy it again.

I tried the conservative step of pressing it in my mechanical press (no heat) overnight, no luck. I tried contacting the framing gallery and artist to see if they could enlighten me on the mount and give repair suggestion but they were, respectively, out of business and deceased! The print is 18" x60". I am concerned about adding glue or spray adhesive due to the breaks in the surface.

Any advice for this poor, big picture ?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Canvas print with failed adhesive mount

Post by Steve N »

Have a look at this topic http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13043
seems the same issue
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's a job for a very skilled conservator, if it's possible at all. Probably cost more than the thing is worth.

It may have been expensive, but any value that it had was wiped out the minute someone applied glue to it.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
TheUpstairsGallery

Thank you both. It is the same problem, but the one here looks a lot worse! The mounting board looks exactly the same.

Your responses confirm my opinion. I wanted to see if there was an option because I always stretch canvas and don't know much about adhesive mounts that are used on them.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

If you are to do something, if I were you I'd be inclined to get your customer's written agreement that the artwork is of no worth, and that anything you do to it is at their risk.
TheUpstairsGallery

I agree with that!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Good Idea to get written permission. CYA and all that. Some times things turn out surprisingly well. But on the whole you get to recognise a lost cause when you see one. :? You might spend days farting about with it and only make it worse and then who is going to pay for your time? Hand the customer a big bill after failing and feathers are likely to be ruffled. Far better not to let the customers problem become yours.

Run Away!!!
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
TheUpstairsGallery

Yep, my best possible outcome here is that I end up with the customer knowing I tried to find a way and caused no more damage.Hopefully, he'll leave with a good opinion of me. And the frame is a beauty, I can give him some options for reusing it.
TheUpstairsGallery

It's been a while, due to summer schedules on both my client's and my part, but I did achieve a solution satisfactory to him. I let him know that the damage was irreversible and that heat and adhesive applications weren't options for me.

His main objective at that point was to be able to hang it and see it as best as possible. The solution was to press it (unheated) in the mechanical press and cover with plexiglas. At 18x60 inches, this landscape scene will not usually be looked at too closely, so the cracks aren't obvious. The glazing keeps it from rolling up again.

It doesn't look too bad that way! He can enjoy the landscape art (sentimental to him), he is aware of the loss of value, and the materials and labor were a reasonable cost. He left satisfied.

Thanks for all the input, it really helped me sort out the issue and guide my planning.