Large frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Large frame

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Hi all,

I'm working on framing a rather large flag for a charity along with some maps and photos. I've managed to work on the arrangement to get it down to the size of a normal sheet of glass (48" x 36" I think, or there abouts).

I haven't done anything quite this big before, would there be anything extra I would need to do on account of the size? I was planning on using a deep rebate frame with foam board spacers. Normally use 2mm glass. Would all of this be ok at that size?

Thanks for any help, I imagine it's been discussed before, but had no joy with a search.

cheers,

andrew
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Graysalchemy

Re: Large frame

Post by Graysalchemy »

You probably would be alright with standard 2mm glass but because you are spacing it I would be tempted to use 4mm acrylic as it will be more rigid and lighter. If it didn't have a spacer or there was a mount against the glass I would use 2mm float no problem.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The only circumstance where I would use a full sheet of 4x3 glass that I can think of would be in a very strong frame with a very strong back and no space between artwork and glass. Then it would have to leave here and be screwed straight to a wall with mirror plates or something; IOW minimum handling.

So to answer this
kartoffelngeist wrote:Would all of this be ok at that size?
"No"!

I'd be looking at a double frame (with the inner as the spacer) and acrylic, 5 or 6mm minimum.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Hi Andrew,

this search will be useful: http://theframersforum.com/search.php?keywords=subframe

For large frames you need to think about adding some extra strength to the frame such as sub-frames or wooden struts on the back and maybe metal corner brackets. Also just as important you need to think how the frame will be hung. Don't use D-rings and cord/wire for a frame of this size, you should be thinking strap hangers, picture plates, T-screw security system or french cleats.

I've done a couple of large frames with spaces and effectively increased the rebate size by adding a wooden slip either side of the glass to give it a bit more support. The photos are of a frame about 44 x 44 inches with 3mm glass and hung with x4 heavy duty picture plates. The moulding was a deep 60mm tulipwood and 30mm wide so fairly solid which is important for a frame of this size (the moulding was milled for me by Tim at Kingswood who is a forum member).
DSC_9936.jpg
DSC_9936.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
DSC_0149.jpg
DSC_0149.jpg (120.19 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
DSC_9941.jpg
DSC_9941.jpg (104.84 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Thanks for the help. I'll look in to getting hold of some acrylic and look at sub frames.

Cheers,

andrew
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Hi there

I buy my acrylic cut to size from theplasticman.co.uk

I've just done one 1560mm x 1560mm in 4mm

Cost £86 inc vat and delivery
SPFR
Organisation: Spire Framing
Interests: Framing, painting, cycling, swimming

Post by SPFR »

Hi there,
It's a while since this post but I am thinking of using acrylic in a frame 40 x 44" however don't want to pay the prices from the usual suppliers. Is the 4mm clear acrylic from 'the plastic man' cast or extruded acrylic? I'm assuming if you're using it, it is good quality stuff and does not look to 'plastic'. The alternative is 3mm float glass.

Cheers
Don't sweat the small things and use a good stepladder for the big things.