what size mountcutter

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

what size mountcutter

Post by red »

what is a good size mouncutter to start out with ive thought of 40 inch but
is that too small? would i only end up buying a larger one?

thanks
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: what size mountcutter

Post by pramsay13 »

I would say 48 inches as that would fit most normal sized boards, whereas with 40 inch you will have to trim the boards before you even start.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

40 inch mountcutters probably originally were something to do with the American market, because their standard size mountboards are 32" x 40". Here in the U.K., the standard size mountboards were originally 32" x 44", over time our board sizes have increased for certain mountboard manufacturers, but a 48" mountcutter will still be big enough for all U.K. non-jumbo size boards.

if you will be triming U.K. boards to size on a 40" mountcutter you may find this a problem. I think it is likely that most U.K. framers are probably using 48" mountcutters, so that's probably not a bad choice in most situations, but if you are buying a secondhand mountcutter, it might be that a 40" model is still worth considering if the deal is tempting, as most jobs that you will be asked to do will still be possible on a 40" mountcutter.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

From experience - 62". I had to sub larger stuff, mostly panoramics with 48x6 or so apertures, out to a friendly competitor until I went for one. Not much extra space required and not a big jump in price either.

A 40 inch mountcutter is no good for 40 inch board, you would not be able to use the start of cut stop, well, not on a Keencut anyway and a 48 inch cutter would be no good for 48 inch board (colourmount do that size, Nielsen and I think Daler too), you'd need the 62" one for those. That's why the larger cutter is 62" and not 60" and the next one down 48" and not 44"
prospero

Post by prospero »

I started with a 40" Magnolia mountcutter. It was sort-of OK. I used it for a couple of years until
I got a job that wouldn't fit. I bit the bullet and got a 48" C&H which was the thick end of a grand.
Haven't regretted it. Still using it. Only once have I had a board that wouldn't fit. I took off the
cutter bar and clamped it to a board in order to cut a bigger board. Not inconsiderable faff, but
did the job.
60"+ cutters really need to be in a semi-permanent position as the length means they are more prone sag in the middle or ends.
Unless you know the surface they stand on is dead flat bit of shimming underneath is often called for.
With typical use, 99.9% (ish) of all the mounts you cut will fit in a 48" cutter.
Also, you need to place them so you can walk alongside the back. Unless you are quite tall and have very long arms.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Simple answer for you, as big as you can fit in without it causing you problems, you will use it .
red

Post by red »

many thanks great advice as usual

regards
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote:60"+ cutters really need to be in a semi-permanent position as the length means they are more prone sag in the middle or ends.Unless you know the surface they stand on is dead flat bit of shimming underneath is often called for.
Mine was in a permanent position and I never had any problem with "sagging" although I have heard of this, even on smaller mount cutters. Anything, if not set up correctly, can have problems - set it up right and you won't have any - it's an extra fourteen inches which, if I'm anything to go by, you will be glad you have, often!
With typical use, 99.9% (ish) of all the mounts you cut will fit in a 48" cutter.
Nice factoid, where's it from?

You'll either have to turn away or sub out work ((or possibly do something clever that probably isn't worth the time, if you're clever) that won't fit in your mount cutter. That's a fact, without the 'oid'!

prospero

Post by prospero »

Roboframer wrote:
Nice factoid, where's it from?
It's from my brainoid. :lol:

You don't see many giant limited edition prints nowadays. At least I don't. :?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Like I said to start with "from experience" ... I do!

Not Ltd edns maybe (but they exist and I've done quite a few of my own), but panoramic cityscapes and big long skinny school photos, for starters then there's posters like the one I posted (!) recently and more, and quite regularly.

Take an opportunity to un-restrict yourself whenever possible and this one is very possible.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The next time I am faced with a mount over 48" I shall buy a bigger cutter. That's a promise. :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Good plan, how's about you, Red?

IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

We often cut over 48" mounts, by often I mean usually every week, sometimes multiple in a week, ours is 60" x 40", I want a bigger one and will be buying one.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Most framers that cannot cope with larger mounts ..... which is most framers I suppose, rather than turn the work away or sub it out, if indeed they can sub it out, will either frame the thing against the glass or use wooden spacers including wide wooden slips that sort of look like a skinny mount. Many of these framers will have the biggest dry mounting press they can afford!
red

Post by red »

it looks like its 48 inch mountcutter or bigger
thanfully i didnt go for a 40inch one

regards