Fletcher framemaster point gun

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Nicole
Organisation: We Frame It
Interests: Professional picture framer. Triathlete
www.weframeit.biz

Fletcher framemaster point gun

Post by Nicole »

I'm having problems with my black fletcher point gun. Wierdly it fires the framers points the longer ones but wont fire the small glaziers into the moulding. It fires them but not into the frame. Can anyone suggest how I might resolve this? Do I need to get it serviced? Where do I get this done or buy replacment parts? Thank you.
To be creative we must lose our fear of being wrong.
Roboframer

Re: Fletcher framemaster point gun

Post by Roboframer »

How do you go about changing from framers points to glaziers points?

I never had much luck with glaziers points, not for their intended use anyway, fixing glass in - the shock would often break the glass.
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

Maybe a silly point to check.. but have you turned the block around when changing between framers and glazing points.. the feed channel is slightly different for the different points. Can't remember the exact procedure but I know you do have to rotate the block in order for it to work
Nicole
www.weframeit.biz

Post by Nicole »

Yes I change the block around and have had no problems in the past switching between the two types of points. I have fiddled with the adjuster at the back taken it apart, loaded new points and am now at a loss as to what to try next.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I bought some glaziers points with a view to using them when fitting windows. They're too long though (for elegant windows with thin glazing bars anyway as there isn't enough putty to go over them).

I don't have any trouble with the glass breaking though Robo, cushioned as it is on putty. The traditional method - of using a headless nail (a glazing spring) and a hammer is much more violent!
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Are you 100% sure you have the block the right way round? The G should be at the top when using glaziers points, the F when using framers points. The framers points will fire either way though
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

As easypop says you have to turn the block round.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've got two framemaster point guns. The original idea was to have framers points in one and glazers points in the other, but after awhile the gun with the glazers points started misfiring, jamming and not driving the points in very well. So I swapped the two guns over and this cured the problem for a while until I got one same problem with both guns.

I strongly suspect that the main firing spring has got weaker over time and usage, but I've never bothered to try a new spring, So as a result this is little more than conjecture, but if I wanted to try and cure the problem, I would say that replacing the main firing spring and the magazine feed spring would be the first things that I would do.

Over time, I've stopped using the framemaster guns in favour of the no longer available Flex-04 gun and universal semi-rigid tabs, which not only saves money, but never seems to jam. or misfire. I still have two much older fleximaster guns from before Fletcher-Terry changed the design so that it would only fire Fletcher-Terry's own flexi-tabs. As a consequence I use these with universal flexi-tabs and again save a useful amount of money in the process.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

I agree with NYAF about checking/changing the main spring. You can get replacements from Lion (probably other suppliers as well), I have replaced quite a few over the years.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Changing the spring is a serious pita. Only ever done it once.
Nicole
www.weframeit.biz

Post by Nicole »

Thank you everyone for all your advice I have sent my gun off to Framers Equipment for repair to the spring as already mentioned. Fingers crossed !
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Changing the main driver spring is not as difficult as it may seem, if you know how. One of my framemaster gun had the polyurethane shock absorber block disintegrate and I had to fit a new one. It is not necessary to dismantle the whole gun to change any of the components in the channel that runs along the bottom of the gun. Although it may appear that you have to, that's not the way that it is!

You need to remove all of the screws which pass through, or into the sides of this channel, which also includes the screw and the round slotted nut that secures the magazine block. Then remove the large knurlled screw at the back (main firing spring tension adjuster). At this stage you will find that the channel and all of it internal component are still retained in the body of the gun, by a small square section block which is wider that the channel section and is retained in recesses in each half of the plastic casing that makes up the body of the gun.

I would be a natural temptation for many people at this point to remove the remaining screws and separate both halves of the plastic housing of the gun and end up with both of the other springs popping out of the housing and possibly flying across the room, if you are not prepared to prevent this from happening. In reality you don't need to go this far. By loosening the remaining screws just a turn or two the bottom section of the body can be prized apart just enough to remove the channel section without any of the components in the rest of the body of the gun becoming displaced.

It's good to be aware that the square threaded nut at the back of this channel is only held in place by the spring tension, so be careful not to let this nut drop on the floor and get lost. This threaded nut is the bit that the large knurrlled adjuster screw screws into when the channel is fitted refitted into the two halves of the guns outer housing. I hope that this helps some of us. If you don't like doing this sort of thing yourself, any supplier of these guns will be happy to undertake the work for you at the usual cost.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Post by Fruitini »

I found this video useful when changing the spring on my gun. It really isn't very difficult.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I can't find the spring on lion's site, anyone got a link to a supplier?

Thanks
Fruitini
Organisation: Original Glory
Interests: Digital Art & Photography

Post by Fruitini »

IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

If you give Joe at Simon's a ring, they stock them and are very cheap.

Although probably not 50p cheap :) more like £1
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

Thank you for the video link, i think mine could do with a spring.
Anything Framed
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Wish I'd seen this thread and especially NYAF's post a few months ago before I tried to take mine apart and ended up buying a new one when it wouldn't go back together again!
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Thanks fruitini
Not your average framer

Crumbs! I didn't know that they were as cheap as that. At that price is would be worth changing them on a regular basis, so that the spring doesn't get used enough to lose any of it's punch. I reckon that once a year would do that!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer