keencut laser

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

keencut laser

Post by red »

ive been offered a keencut laser 1200 is this a good model and will it do as good job
as the ultimat gold?
thanks
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: keencut laser

Post by IFGL »

It will do a reasonable job if it has been maintained, will it be as good as an Ultimat Gold, no it is an old machine even the ultimat has now been discontinued for a couple of years, parts would be hard to come by, although with a bit of practice you will probably get results on par.

http://www.keencut.com/spares/all-machi ... and-laser/
red

Post by red »

many thanks for info
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

As far as I understand, the Keencut laser was designed to operate the Stanley Knife blades and not the usual mountcutting blades. I saw one once and it had thin handles to enable the operator to insert the blade into the mountboard. To apply the pressure via such a small area struck me as probably being rather uncomfortable for the operator.

I don't know how old these machines would be now, but these were already old in the 1990's. You also have virtually no chance of getting spares if you need them, so I think that you would be well advised not to bother. I'm not saying that all mountcutters from this era are not worth considering as some mountcutters from this era were good, but a lot of them have been well used and as a result may have been worm out.

If you are considering anything this old, you will need to know enough to be able to determine if it still has enough usable life left in it before you decide to buy it.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
red

Post by red »

thats saved me a lot of hassle, great advice as usual

many thanks