'Antique Pine' Moulding

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

'Antique Pine' Moulding

Post by joh5nny »

Have a customer who's looking for something they describe as antique pine. From what I can gather, they mean something that's distressed or rustic in a relatively warm brown. Have had a gander through the usual catalogues but have to say nothing's jumping out. It's a relatively short timescale job, so need something off the shelf rather than trying to create my own. Any inspiration?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: 'Antique Pine' Moulding

Post by Not your average framer »

You need to make it yourself. It's not as daunting as it sounds. What sort of size and shape are you looking for? Perhaps I and maybe a few others can do you a quick demo, with a photo and some details of how it was done.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Which are the usual catalogues? There's surely plenty that would fit the bill.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Distressed Pine Frame.jpg
Distressed Pine Frame.jpg (583.38 KiB) Viewed 10611 times
I gave up framing a few years back but here is an example of a frame I made from a bare wood pine moulding from Rose & Hollis.

The "ageing" was done using a nail punch to made worm holes and the scratching done with the tip of a bradawl. The moulding was stained with Liberon Antique Pine then waxed with dark oak, buffed up and finally dusted with rottenstone.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

nice job!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Very nice job. :D

I always think pre-finished 'antique pine' can look a bit naff. Too regimented and a slightly too smooth.
Any 'ding' marks tend to repeat.

It's easy to do it yourself once you have a nice piece of moulding. You can knock it about as much or as little as you want. :P
It's not a bad idea to give the whole frame a coat of shellac, especially on fresh cut stuff. It seals the surface and also any knots.
Raw shellac will give it a very orangey tone. Bleached shellac is better.

One way I found was to get a handful of gravel and place it on the moulding. Then put a chunk of wood on top and bang with a big hammer.
You get a nice random pattern of dings.

It's quite good fun and the results will amaze you. :shock:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Liberon have an antique pine wood dye so if it was just the colour they wanted you could use that on any unfinished moulding.
http://www.liberon.co.uk/furniture-and- ... MTM3MjI5fA
If it's to be distressed you can do it yourself or Holroyd do a few pre-distressed such as this one:
http://www.fwholroyd.com/h2000/
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Roboframer wrote:Which are the usual catalogues? There's surely plenty that would fit the bill.
I think we may have different ideas of what is meant by distressed and rustic looking?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

A lovely bit of framing johnny. That's a really nice finish!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Can we clarify what is expected when something is described as disressed and rustic. I certainly don't expect something which is smooth, shiney, and some fake nail holes pressed into the surface of the wood. To me, I would also expect the stained finish to be distressed and far from glossy.

A good start might be to wet the surface of the wood a few times with water, just to raise the grain a little. I also seal the grain a little with some watered down suitably coloured chalky emulsion paint and wipe off the surplus before it can dry, to control the variations in absorbency in different areas of the grain. I then stain it with some water based stain and a little emulsion paint mixed in to dull the stain nicely.

I'm not that keen upon the fake woodworm and nail holes, but if you are going to do them, it's not all that easy to make them look convincing. I'm a bit more into the knocked about look myself, which is quite easy to do with a hand full chunky drive way chain wrapped up in a couple of layers of an old bathroom towel. The idea being to bruise and take away the newness of any corners and edges. Any comments?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Just this really ....
joh5nny wrote: It's a relatively short timescale job, so need something off the shelf rather than trying to create my own.
prospero

Post by prospero »

For fake woodworm holes the best thing I've found is a fine engraving tool in a Dremel. It cuts nice, crisp
edges to the holes whereas a drill bit or a nail isn't quite as convincing. OK, it's a fine point but if you
are going to fake something, do it right. :P You can also drag the engraving tool over the surface to simulate
worm tunnel tracks.

There are lots of ways to 'distress' wood and it's a personal choice.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Roboframer wrote:Just this really ....

" It's a relatively short timescale job, so need something off the shelf rather than trying to create my own."

Why not just use the shelf? :lol:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote:Why not just use the shelf? :lol:

Because I always find it best to avoid situations where you only have your shelf to blame.

FACTOID

The thread starter, to date, has not visited the forum since starting the thread, so actually did have time to go and get all the gear required to knacker his own moulding after all !!

Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

joh5nny wrote: Have had a gander through the usual catalogues but have to say nothing's jumping out. It's a relatively short timescale job, so need something off the shelf rather than trying to create my own. Any inspiration?
So you've spent half an hour going through catalogues, and then posted on a forum and come back three times.

Or you pick up a bit of obeche, paint it a bit and bash it about for five minutes.

I know which is faster! :evil:
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

he might not have logged in!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That's true but I did ask which catalogues he'd checked, not much point in anyone trawling theirs if he already has!