Frames coming back warped

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
dan_kitty
Organisation: the SHO Gallery
Interests: Art, Animation, Motion Graphics

Frames coming back warped

Post by dan_kitty »

Happy new year guys,

First post for a while, but hope you can help.
OK, so recently having some returns on some framing jobs because of warping after the pieces have hanging for a few days in people's homes. The frames were fine beforehand.

I'm guessing it's the the environment of my storage/workshop in contrast to heated homes at this time of year.

Do you think the problem is temp or humidity of storage, or both?
And, before I cut new frames from the same batch of moulding will moving them into the house for a while first solve the problem or will I need to order in fresh moulding?

On both occasions the mouldings have been a soft wood, obeche type with factory finish on the face (bare on rear)

Any advice greatly appreciated
Dan
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Frames coming back warped

Post by Not your average framer »

dan_kitty wrote:On both occasions
So that's two occasions out of how many? I'm not saying that you haven't got a problem and I'm not saying that you have got a problem either, but it would be good to get a bit more understanding about this, before drawing any conclusions.

Have both of these problem occurred at about the same time? If so, what else may have been going on at the same time?

Hopefully these may turn out to be isolated incidents that are not going to be repeated. I would suggest making new replacement frames and hopefully the replacements will be o.k. Don't throw away the original and now warped frames until you have done you best to understand why they became warped.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've only had this happen once. :? That was on a quite big moulding.

It is most likely as you suggest. Was the moulding stored in an unheated place? If not it may
have been in a dampish spot in the supplier's warehouse. This isn't necessarily bad, but using
moulding with a high moisture content and then putting a frame made of the same into a warm,
dry environment can cause the stuff to twist as it dries out.

If you are replacing the frames I would bring the moulding in from the cold and leave it in a place
akin to a warm house for a couple of weeks before cutting it.

This is more prevalent on pine mouldings where you get gaps in the mitres due to shrinkage.
Again, it's best to normalise it before using.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

Did you ascertain the environment that the frames were being displayed?
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

wood warps for a variety of reasons, as you said it may be due to a change of temperature/ humidity
if made in a cold damp environment then displayed in a dry environment then warping may occur
the type of wood can affect the warping some woods warp more than others,cant think of any other reasons
hope you sort it out
dan_kitty

Post by dan_kitty »

sorry for the delayed response,

thanks for all your comments :)

The workshop area where where the moulding is stored is quite moist and cold compared to the environment the frames went into (warm central heated houses)

I have been planning on putting a new roof on for a while now (its a bit leaky in the corner), once done i can the insulate and sheath the walls and make it good.

I guess I better get cracking with that, in the meantime i have a dehumidifier running, and will move the mouldings i need.

cheers chaps!

p.s does anyone know the name of the device that measures ambient air moisture and where i can get one?
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

It's a hygrometer. Jeff Howell says you need to spend £50 on it before it's likely to be any good.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/prop ... -home.html
dan_kitty

Post by dan_kitty »

Cheers for the link!

Ha Ha, i was typing in hydrometer and it was just coming back with home brew equipment :)