removable medal attachments

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

removable medal attachments

Post by muffinski »

the customer wants to be able to remove these every now and then, I am making a slider frame to house these with a few other items. Any suggestions on what will actually hold the the medals to the back mount?
Attachments
DSC_0091.JPG
DSC_0091.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 6344 times
Grahame Case

Re: removable medal attachments

Post by Grahame Case »

How about using the pin that's on it ?
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

Had these in a (previously framed) medal frame - pushed through from the back, the bar then goes through the holes. However I've never been able to find any more,or even a name for them!!

They should do the trick! If not, I've previously used 2 canvas offsets for the bar to hang on?
Attachments
IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 6306 times
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I have been searching for those little plastic things for an age. Never could source them :?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have in the past used a section of that black extruded plastic which is used for extending rebates which are not deep enough to slot in underneath the pin on the broach bar and a couple of small rare earth magnets to prevent the pin on the broach bar falling out if the frame is turned upside down.

This worked just fine! I got the magnets from my local hardware shop, who get deliveries from their supplier by van twice a week. I could easily go to the same supplier myself, but it would cost me more as the hardware shop don't get charged carriage and their profit is provided from their trade price.

Lots of hardware shops deal with the same supplier, so if your local hardware is really close to your shop, this might also work for you. My local hardware is only just across the road for me!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

in the past I have just made two holes in the mount, just open the pin from the catch, poke the pin through one hole, the other hole is for the catch, so after poking the pin through you just clip it into the catch. That way the medals lay flat against the mountcard , using those things with the holes is that they push through from the back of the mount and you push the pin through the holes, so all of the fitting bar on the medals are at the front of the mount
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Post by muffinski »

thanks for all the suggestions folks :clap: , I might try the canvas off sets as I have some of those to hand.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

featurepiece wrote:I have been searching for those little plastic things for an age. Never could source them :?
I have seen these poking out of holes in the backing boards on frames which were too narrow a profile to fix a cord, or wire for hanging directly to the frame. They appear to be used as fixing points for hanging the frame, but of the ones that I've seen there does not appear to be any particular normal way of using them.

I also have no idea what they were called, or if they are still obtainable. I would not want to say that I'm 100% sure about this, but if my memory serves me correctly I can only remember seeing these used in grey board, or pulp board backs, so maybe these were an item that was primarily used by contract framers and the like.

Have you thought of using a bent solder tag like this? http://www.mecint.co.uk/Catalogue/62

The small round hole on the right size solder tag should be good for threading the pin on the broach bar through the hole. The size of solder tags is determined by the screw size that is to pass through the larger hole.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Pro-Am
Organisation: Pro-Am
Interests: Running after 2 year old daughter, no time for anything else.

Post by Pro-Am »

I use these, they should be available in the UK. I generally use 3 or 4 per medal group and tend to screw them in place rather than trust the adhesive backing.
Clips.jpg
Clips.jpg (144 KiB) Viewed 6105 times