Large Laminated World Map to stick down anyone ?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Large Laminated World Map to stick down anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi all,
my heart always sinks when a customer brings in large laminated maps, well anything over size really ....
The map is a whopping 150 x 95cm, supplied rolled up, laminated both sides, you know the sort of thing.
The customer wants it mounted and framed (no glass), I dont have a cold roller so thats not an option, just wondering what
you've done previously ? I have a large roll of double sided adhesive I thought I might lay down onto some cut to size 5mm MDF and then run a roller over it, just a thought but open to suggestions ?
Thank you in advance,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
prospero

Re: Large Laminated World Map to stick down anyone ?

Post by prospero »

I feel your pain Adam. These things are usually a "can't you just...." job. People don't want to spend on them. It's the next step up
from a notice board.

If I absolutely had to do it I'd go with the tape strip method, but use HD carpet tape. I stays sticky for years. And if it does throw a bump
for whatever reason you can always bang it down again. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I have had those, and to tell you the truth, at that size they will not lay flat, you will end up tearing you hair out, it has two different thickness of laminate so, when it was laminated, when cooled down each thickness cooled down at a different rate, so in effect each layer is a different size, so will not lay flat.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

See if you can find a local printing company that can stick it onto dibond for you, it's a far better surface than mdf for big stuff but it will add to the cost, which might in turn scare the customer away? No bad thing sometimes:)
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

Sorry if this sounds dumb as I'm not familiar with Dibond but why would you need a printers to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Thanks for the advice people, as I'm often told, 99% of the things I worry about never actually happen, it turned out fine after all that. Not ideal but under the circumstances and i had warned the customer that it wouldn't go down totally flat, I cut a sheet of 5mm foamcore to size and laid lengths of carpet tape down and then gradually unravelled the already laminated map down whilst peeling back the tape a length at a time.
I was surprised how well it went down actually. Here's a photo I took, I backed it with a sheet of MDF and braced it across the back, no glass as the customer is putting red dots on it to show where he's been on his travels, my map wouldn't look quite so impressive ....
Thanks Again,
Adam/Bagpuss
2017-06-21 14.42.21.jpg
2017-06-21 14.42.21.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4242 times
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've had to frame laminated maps before and they are a PITA. I had this same conversation about one with Prosperro fairly recently. This map did not turn out particularly good, but strangely enough the customer thought it was acceptable.

I had warned him beforehand that I would only do it at his own risk and explained the problems to him.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Nice bit of work there, I'd never had thought about using carpet tape but in this instance it's quite a good idea. Don't suppose you got a snap of the bracing on the back? (just curious :) )